Tetanus Vaccination is for life, not just for School!

Katie at FoxMedics

HSE First Aid courses advise us to teach management of minor wounds with splinters being part of this. I used to think how can I teach this to people that are in an industry were they are faced with major trauma rather than teeny splinter problems, but actually the reality is that Tetanus is the reason why. If you get a chance google signs and symptoms of tetanus, it certainly gives food for thought...

So the question is are you up to date with your tetanus vaccination or are you as guilty as many of us in thinking that a tetanus vaccination at school was enough for life?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very important issue! I've had some potentially nasty embedded thorns. A bit embarrassing going to minor injuries with it (in defence, I did leave it until the end of the working day) but glad I did get them extracted. There's been a threat here previously about the implications, can be very nasty!

Bitten by a tortoise? That just begs teasing......!!

I heard it had been following him round all day :laugh1:

When I was fettling I used to get a lot of tetanus injections. You'd go in with a cut finger and come out with a limp. Do they still give you the jab in the same place ? Yes it's still A&E :thumbup1:

I heard it had been following him round all day :laugh1:

:

How do you think I got the name Turtlewoods?

Actually I was feeding it some cucumber and took my eye off the ball. He lurched forwards and took a slice of finger to go with it. Must have been like Parma ham and melon. Delicious I bet.:biggrin:

How do you think I got the name Turtlewoods?

Actually I was feeding it some cucumber and took my eye off the ball. He lurched forwards and took a slice of finger to go with it. Must have been like Parma ham and melon. Delicious I bet.:biggrin:

Come on..... It's too much! :lol:

We're not talking striking cobra like speed here are we.....

Took your eye off the ball?? :confused1: I should have thought there would have been time to have a shave as well unless it was a cucumber crazed turbo tortoise??

If you have had all of your tetanus vaccinations at school- 5 in total- it states that this is you boosted up for life.. But, if you are unsure if you have had all of your vaccinations then it does not harm to go to your GP to have a booster AND if you have an embedded splinter or serious cut at work then I would recommend a visit to your GP again for a booster.

Tortoise bite!! Wow this must be the lesser spotted breed of the 'Toothy Tortoise' or was it the one from Creature Comforts?!? I was bit by a donkey once when I was a wee girl, only a few years ago obviously. I gave it a hug goodbye and that, I believe, was him saying goodbye too. Thank goodness people do not say goodbye like that...

Katie, going to your GP and asking for a booster isn't good practice. If you had 3x as a baby then one at 5 then one at 15, that's all you need unless you injure yourself. Fine to phone your GP and find out if you have had five. If you have, the answer is you don't need a routine one, so you will be refused and waste your trip.

Tetanus is a big issue amongst i.v. drug abusers but not amongst arborists who are generally over protected and we often see bad reactions to over dosing on tetanus.

hope this helps!