Buying woodland.

Treemoose

I have been playing with the idea of buying 2ish acers of coppice woodland. The idea is to store/sell a few logs etc as a side line to tree surgery and also have it as a place to do some wood crafts. Also making an investment in the land. Has anyone els done anything similar to this on a small scale? Also I'm not really sure how to start looking apart from googling those "woodsforsale" type websites.

Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

I bought 10acres about 4years ago. The woodland was very overgrown but with a lot of hard work it has started coming round now. Equipment etc. has cost a lot but now that I have it is much better. Bought the wood for something to spend my time on and the family and friends use it for B-B-Qs and camping etc. use any wood that falls for the log burner. I found the wood while looking on the web and had been looking for quite a while. My wood is very close to me and I think that is important, we looked at several further away from where we lived but we are glad we didn't buy them as we might not have had s much use if we would have had to travel. We can just go for a walk around the wood when we feel like it because it is so close to us. Go for it as you won't regret it

I bought a few acres of woodland. The companies that buy up large woodlands and sell small parcels also restrict what you can do, so you may not be able to run a log business of any sort from it.

I found my patch by noticing a couple of fields for sale that had a bit of woodland attached. I managed to get the woodland on it's own for a much cheaper price than you tend to see advertised. It is good mix including hazel that needs to be coppiced for the fist time and old hazel stools that have been neglected for many years.

I would have thought that you may be able to find a local farmer or land owner that might be willing to sell off a small patch. Would it be possible to buy a larger patch and break it up into smaller lots yourself?