would you accept this tree

Dean O

for those of you up with your hta/bs specs for trees from nursery, or just those with an opinion:

would you accept this:

looks very narrow to me?

should be a sorbus 'dodong' 12-14 - anybody out there specifying/ planting these that has had them in for comparison?

thanks

Dean

59766bcb47686_SorbusDodong12-14.jpg.e0cdf30c9871d967bfeea84992abb885.jpg

You did include 'just those with an opinion'...

There is a lot of taper on that, and whilst I can't quite see what's going on with the top, the side extension growth does not look very good. Suggests it may have been severely checked by root damage (field grown and then potted up with severe root chopping to make it fit?) or may have been left too long in the pot. Either way, I would be concerned about getting good growth going.

Alec

If it was me I would send it back, it just doesn't look good, it looks overly leggy in comparison to spread and looks a bit pot bound really. IMO the whole point in buying a larger tree is for it to instantly look good and it just doesn't. Plant a smaller tree and I guarantee it will establish quicker and take over

Can't quite see from the pic but has it been pruned like that. One thing that really annoys me is trees arriving with main leader nipped off so all the trees look the same size! Have you ever ordered some robinia? Sent 3 back till realised they were all hacked back the same.