3.0 Isuzu Trooper

felixthelogchopper

I am toying with the idea of buying an Isuzu Trooper to use as a work van. I am looking at vehicles around the 2003/4 age with the 3.0 diesel lump. I have heard that there were some problems with this engine and wondered if anybody could tell me more, in particular whether the problems were sorted by the time of manufacture that I am considering. Thanks for any help. :001_smile:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am toying with the idea of buying an Isuzu Trooper to use as a work van. I am looking at vehicles around the 2003/4 age with the 3.0 diesel lump. I have heard that there were some problems with this engine and wondered if anybody could tell me more, in particular whether the problems were sorted by the time of manufacture that I am considering. Thanks for any help. :001_smile:

if its fully servied isuzu will sort anu issues out ,a guy i know had 1, wi 160k on took it in as he was having issues,they keeped it for 3, days did allsoert new loome. injectors ,loaads of stuff ,free

Can't comment on any problems as have only done 10k miles in my 06 3l but I can say it's a very good truck. Not a fast one by any stretch of the imagination but great on torque levels, excellent when towing and I average 30-32mpg with a mixture of towing and normal driving so not bad on fuel really. In my opinion it handles incredibly well too. All in all I'm very pleased with it and glad I went with it above the competition

I have had Isuzu for years and years had the 3.1 and 3.0 dohc in the 2 door troopers commercial vans both fantastic trucks with over 150k each but the 3.0 was not without it's trouble and in the end the head gasket went , aslong as the injectors have been done I would worry to

Much

As Timtree says they had injector problems. The diesel would leak past the seals and fill the sump causing the engine to self explode by running on.

Isuzu where very good at replacing the above probably due to the fact they probably passed the cost on to caterpillar whos engine it actually was.

The injectors are coded/numbered so you can tell if they have been replaced.

Great trucks in my opinion.

I would buy another just make sure you keep an eye on the oil level. If it increases then the injectors are at fault.

The other issue that crops up is an oil pressure switch under the rocker cover which can fail causing injector pump issues. The injector pump runs off the oil pressure. If this happens and needs replacing then go to Vauxhall to get the pressure switch as its about £30 cheaper than going to Isuzu. Remember Vauxhall just rebadged the 3ltr trooper.

Cheers for the information, gents. I am waiting to hear some more info about a 2004 I am after. :001_smile:

Bought an 04 L200 warrior last week, very thirsty! Great truck though, will just have to try it for a while and see how it goes! Like it very much so far:-)

One off my customers has had 3 or 4 of these troopers, the last one had over 180k trouble free on the clock. Based on this I bought a swb van for £700 early this year, it was only supposed to be for a tempory run around but I endeed up doing 12 k in 6 months . It drove like new but looked a complete heap! I recon 3.0 troopers are the best value 4x4 you can get, if I need to I will buy another without hesitating.

i have had my 3L duty for 2 and a half years, put over 30k on it, run it as family car, and 4 x 4 plugger. love it, but there are horror stories about injectors etc see itocuk for a great owners forum. P.S. ladder racks and ff roof rails are like hens teeth!