Oak butt

Shire-Forestry

Best to cut some thin rings off it until the hollow in the middle becomes solid timber and the metal is found/blue disappears. Shouldn't take that much, hard to tell from the pic if the hollow is a tear out from felling or rot.

So long as it's still 8' long by then you should get a fair price if you can deliver. Though it may make more overall as firewood in your yard with no haulage costs.

The local mill should tell you what length they want it if it's too big as one. Usually 8' for sleepers or posts unless it's high grade.

A good size, worth milling. The knots up the side suggest it will be more 'character' than perfect grain, or it would be suitable for structural/landscaping use rather than decorative. The risk of metal will put people off but if I was doing it I would cut around it - place the cuts to miss it and if necessary just shorten up the piece with the metal in once milled out.

The trouble with selling single butts is that it is difficult to get big commercial mills to take them, unless they are something special or they have a need. It's more likely to go to someone with an Alaskan and a need. For example, I have someone who wants me to mill them a large area of rustic oak flooring so if you were near me I would be interested.

You might get £4/Hoppus foot if you find someone with an immediate use, so about £400. If you want to move it on quickly then £2/Hoppus foot (£200) would be a bargain.

You will get much more if you cut it up, split it and sell it as firewood, but you then need to take into account your fuel costs, chain/saw wear and time, so if you could spend the same time doing something more profitable then selling it whole would be worthwhile.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...