Checker trade

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checkatrade is not what it used to be.

It has inevitably turned into a very commercial venture. When I signed up a long time ago it was all about quality.

In 2009 I was one of three companies in my operating area. 18 months later I was one of 43 in the same area! They won't let gypos sign up but there are some very questionably 'tree surgeons' on the register in this area.

My point is they have no way of checking the quality of the work and so long as the client doesn't complain, life goes on.

I also know for a fact of one recent start up who fills in Feedback forms for a Checkatrd registered buddy, who reciprocates the favour.

How can Checkatrade monitor this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

Bean on for nearly 2 years now got some good reviews it's nice for some of your customers to read the reviews and they do let gypos join them because some gypsy are fully qualified and insured old mill tree care and there's about 6 gypsy on checker trade that cover surry

Edited by temple tree care

As with all of these types of schemes the quality issue will always be the sticking point. I've been a member since January 2008 and use it as a tool for potential clients to check us on.

However, the issue of quality is my real bug bear; an example was a few years ago when a client asked for a really light reduction on a Silver birch which we duly did. It looked great, you'd hardly have known we had been there and the client (the wife) was over the moon. However the husband completed the return postcard and marked us down on his perception of quality; this was a fine example of tree work but because we hadn't knocked ten bales of **** out if it, he thought it was poor.

I used the comment section to inform him of his error but what the client perceives to be bad quality will be different to yours. It's a good tool and I would recommend it.

Was good now gone sour . We got out of it a while back all and sundrie are on it now :laugh1: Check a mong dot com as we call it . I have seen first hand some of the hero's I was quoting against and most of them have difficulty telling the difference between a thuja and a leylandii . The opposition prices normally start at £ 400 and rapidly come down to £120 ? Although they now also look the part :confused1:

Checkatrade don't give a monkey's whether its members are any use. They are only interested in their money.

Checkatrade make it very easy to give good feedback, but anything less than a glowing recommendation and it starts to get more difficult. First off, you can't do it on the web site and have to write in, then the member gets 21 days to respond (in my case offering a cash incentive not to leave a negative review), and if you are bloody minded and pissed off enough to go through with it the Checkatrade member has right of reply and can tell the world you're a liar.

I wouldn't discount using someone because they are a Checkatrade member, but I certainly don't see it as anything positive!

It sounds like too much of a risk in my opinion as I don't have £600 pounds to waste at this present moment. I think I would rather hit a few more parish magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Christ on a bike, what do you get for the 600?