Books I would recommend

Andrew Gale

Evening all; in view of England’s early departure from the World Cup, I thought I’d recommend a few books that you may find interesting.

I’m not a big reader and don’t do fiction and much prefer factual books that one can learn from; the following six books are all natural history based, half of which have a tree theme thrown in. They are, and in no particular order:

1. The Wild Trees – Richard Preston – about the first ascents into the redwood forest of the west coast of America

2. The Places In Between – Rory Stewart – a book about one mas walk across Afghanistan

3. The Tiger – John Vaillant – about the hunt for a man eating tiger in Russia’s Far East (if you come across this book in Waterstones or such like read the second paragraph on page 15; a truly awesome book)

4. The Golden Spruce – John Vaillant – a book about one man’s desperate act of destruction to inform the world of the devastation being acted out in the Pacific North West forests

5. Fire Season – Philip Connors – a book about the decade spent acting as a look out for wildfires in the America southwest

6. Winterdance – Gary Paulsen – ever wondered what the Iditarod dog race is like? This’ll tell you; I love this book and have lost count how many times I've read it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Andrew

Evening all; in view of England’s early departure from the World Cup, I thought I’d recommend a few books that you may find interesting.

I’m not a big reader and don’t do fiction and much prefer factual books that one can learn from; the following six books are all natural history based, half of which have a tree theme thrown in. They are, and in no particular order:

3. The Tiger – John Vaillant – about the hunt for a man eating tiger in Russia’s Far East (if you come across this book in Waterstones or such like read the second paragraph on page 15; a truly awesome book)

If you enjoyed that, you will probably also like The Man-Eaters of Tsavo.

Out of copyright, available at Project Gutenberg. :thumbup1:

Never knew there was a movie. It's an interesting read, and somewhat removed from The Tiger insomuch as it's told through the eyes of a Victorian big game hunter. Conservation was unheard of and the lions' true crime was disrupting industrial progress via their man-eating habits.

The back of the book is an appendix for the sporting gentleman, detailing the recommended quantities of guns, ammunition and supplies required for a successful hunting trip, plus the number of natives to carry them all for massa :lol:

The Tiger focuses on how the Russian patrol tracked the animal and what lead to the tiger going after man; the author really knows how to add suspense.

The film is called the Ghost and the Darkness starring Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas; not a bad film.