Should I buy this Telehandler ?

gensetsteve

Any advice appreciated. I am looking for a compact tele or loadall about 2500kg lift no more than 3000kg as too big.

I looked at a 2005 manitou 627 the original tyres were just worn out but the hour clock was bust so estimated 4000hrs.

I was warned by the main dealer track rod ends were expensive and I found the front ones worn out with about 6mm of wear. Does anyone know how much they are . The rear ones were just ok but the rubber covers were shot on all four.

I found a tiny bit of wear on one lift ram pin. the alternator was loose and chattering on the bracket. I could hear something in the exhaust silencer loose. a few of the lights did not work. The coolant header tank was brim full which could indicate it blows the coolant off. Otherwise it was straight.

The price was 15k I walked away as I had not looked at any others to compare but a week later I wonder if I have looked a gift horse in the mouth new they are about 45k as far as I know.

A set of tyres is around £1500.00

I may go for something like a jcb 526 a bit bigger but simpler and less to go wrong.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Track rods for telehandlers vary from about 150 to 600 quid. Just beware of cheaper ones as they will be sh1t, you do get what you pay for. 1500 for 4 probably 24 inch tyres, wow, what make was that, again, sounds too good of a price.

Jcb526 is a brilliant piece of kit. Beware wear in headstocks from abusive former keepers.

Hope this helps

price sounds a little high. i got my new toy last week, a Mlt 741-120Isu:001_smile:

its the 4 ton lift but every bit as nippy as a john deere 3400. it has a worn shaft from the engine to the trans, bit odd as the engine is mounted sideways. not a major job so apart from that very tight and very clean machine with 9000 hours and 50% tyres i think they are original too. she was £15k

was the 627 private or trade?

DSC_0400.jpg.417a3c40dc9143a14e68b884b533e369.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg.37bf2825bcd709bc1e21953474c290e7.jpg

well its off a farm, driving on grass vs running between building sites in town.

a local contractor has their matbro on original tires with similar hours. there is machine hours and engine hours, if the engine is running high to work the boom or implement you can easily run up high hours without wearing the rest of the machine/ but it could be on its third set, no way to tell

Edited by Graham w

Thanks for all the replies so far I have been looking for a while and talking to owners you can wear a 20 inch tyre out in 2500 hrs especially on concrete. As you say cant really tell the hrs. What would cause the track rod end rubbers to rot so badly ?

price sounds a little high. i got my new toy last week, a Mlt 741-120Isu:001_smile:

its the 4 ton lift but every bit as nippy as a john deere 3400. it has a worn shaft from the engine to the trans, bit odd as the engine is mounted sideways. not a major job so apart from that very tight and very clean machine with 9000 hours and 50% tyres i think they are original too. she was £15k

was the 627 private or trade?

The 627 was a cattle farmer who deals thaem as a side line. No warranty and no service.

Your 741 sounds cheap where did you find it are there anymore. There is a 730 nr me with 5000 hrs 2001 even thats 15k from a main dealer.