has anyone got diagram showing the workings of the kingpost and rack on timber crane

Will Cobb

as the title says just wondered if anyone can help, trying to sort a leak from the kingpost on the main left, right slew.

Just took this from my manual which is Cranab.

slewgear.jpg.9afede4a71dfaec3f68960954efed5eb.jpg

It's a job I have had to do twice, first when bolts 26 broke after several years of abuse. By then the threads on the cylinders were also stipped/corroded where they screw into the kingpost so needed reinforcing.

More recently a seal had failed because the bores were damaged on one end after the first incident.

thanks for that I think its seal 10 that's gone is it easy to remove it? any advice

Seems unlikely as that should only keep the grease in, if you are losing oil it will be one of the set 27 to the left off my picture and I could only isolate it to two diagonally opposite cylinders

What loader is it?

These seals tend to be standard hydraulic parts

the oil is coming out when I slew left and right from where 10 is I packed it with grease but still leaking, so you thing replacing 27 set of seals should solve this?

Hard to say without seeing or knowing loader model.

The only real check is to fix boom at mid travel and then disconnect each cylinder in turn and then pressurise one end, if oil comes out the other then the piston seal is leaking.

chain the boom down on to the frame get a valve made up with a pressure gauge in line so that you can pressurise the cal then lock each one off individually and note the leakage on each one on the gauge also get a straight edge and check the outside side of the cylinder for swelling if its leaking oil it must be the rod seals not seal 10 as this only keeps the crap out if the rack

By then the threads on the cylinders were also stripped/corroded where they screw into the kingpost so needed reinforcing.

If you look at the two highland bear cranes on the County thread

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/74770-county-tractor-i-want-one.html#post1123111

You will see the first one must have had a similar problem and the cylinders have reinforcing rods.