Dealing With Learning Difficulties In Training...

DriveLink

As some of you may be aware, I'm a trainer at Sparsholt College, and I've noticed an increase lately in the number of students on my courses that have learning difficulties - dyslexia, in particular.

I try to help those students out that either request it, or after talking to them about it, would like some form of assistance. To be honest, this normally means putting information across in a different manner (of course, this can help anyone really).

One of the reason why I make videos / audio programmes available is to help those who would prefer to watch / listen to something rather than read the course notes / assessment schedule.

If you are a trainer, how do you help your students? If you're a student, what would have helped you out on a course?

I strongly believe that by making information more widely available and accessible to all, accidents in industry can be reduced, as well as knowledge increased.

I'd be interested in your thoughts...

David.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this of use to anyone..?

On my website, I've just put up a post about helping dyslexic learners and I've included a pictorial representation of the steps in sharpening a chain.

To be perfectly honest, it's actually a storyboard for a video that I want to make, so it's pretty scant of actual information, but it shows the sharpening process broken down into 8 steps. After I'd finished drawing it out, I wondered if it would be at all useful for others.

If you want to download it, then pop over to Drive Link: Supporting Dyslexic Learners, click on the picture and print it off (it is sized to print on a normal sheet of A4).

If it is useful, then please feel free to use it. If not, then no harm done. The video will be along later...

Cheers,

David.

Good Man David,

I was told at school that I was dyslexic, so school was a bit more of a nightmare than the usual challenge. :angry:

But I dosen't stop you achieving your goals.

I may take a little longer to do things and it’s a good idea to have any important work checked by someone who can notice what I just can’t see.

The main thing you’ll fine is that people with dyslexia or other learning issues have a very poor attention spans and what your doing is perfect think out side the box, get there attention and your more than half way there.

There’s quiet a few well know millionaires out there with dyslexia Richard Branson for one.:001_cool:

Keep up the good work.

Meep

Not just millionaires Meep, Einstein was a dyslexic and look what he did:w00t: I have dyscalcula and scotopic sensitivity syndrome which i only found out i had the latter when i was halfway through my a levels.

What the hell is that mate? (I am sure i am not the only person wondering!!! :blushing:)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you suffer from scotopic sensitivity then you may find that things like black text on white paper extremely difficult to read, or stripey things appearing in 3-dimensional form rather than flat, or difficulty in dealing with distances.

In effect, for those people coming on a course, it would mean that course notes should either be provided with a coloured acetate, or printed on coloured paper (pale yellow, blue or pink, for example). The distance thing potentially could make sink cuts awkward to accurately achieve.

Glare and contrast seems to affect those with this condition more than others. So, for trainers like me who use a whiteboard (which can suffer from high reflectivity), it could make it difficult for learners to depict what it is that I'm drawing on the board.

I hope that's right!

As I understand it, People learn in three ways, Auditory, Visual and Tactile. If you try to tell someone who is a tactile learner how to do something, you are always going to struggle as they have difficulty processing the words. Not due to Dyslexia or other difficulties, but due to their personal way of learning.

If you can ensure that all three styles are included in your training, handouts for the visual, you speaking for the auditory and an example of what you're talking about that the students can actually touch eg, Chain or Climbing equipment etc, then you should cater for all in the group.

Simple things like the way people answer questions, such as, "I see what you mean" or "That feels about right", can let you know how people learn things and you can pick up on it and figure out what you'll need in lessons.

I think that different coloured handouts as well as writing in lower case and not capitals as some dyslexic people struggle to differentiate the shape of capital letters.

Hope this helps mate.

Tom

Edited by Tommy_B

I reckon you got that spot on there Tom. Interesting point about dyslexic people struggling with capital letters - I usually write on my board in capitals, and it was brought to my attention by one of the teacher trainers here. Although, asking most students about it seems to indicate that they prefer it in uppercase!

The other thing that can be a useful way of training is a system that was developed in the US in the early 20th century for shipyards - it's still in common use and I bet that most trainers use it without realising it. It's called EDIP...

- Explain

- Demonstrate

- Imitate

- Practice

I've found that many people in this industry are practical, rather than academic, individuals and would prefer to do something rather than sit down and listen to someone waffling about the intracacies of whatever it is.

The EDIP model can be very effective - you talk a task through, show how it's done, then the student can have a go (with you providing some feedback), then after that they can go away and practice it (they will almost certain learn something about it as they go too).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you suffer from scotopic sensitivity then you may find that things like black text on white paper extremely difficult to read, or stripey things appearing in 3-dimensional form rather than flat, or difficulty in dealing with distances.

In effect, for those people coming on a course, it would mean that course notes should either be provided with a coloured acetate, or printed on coloured paper (pale yellow, blue or pink, for example). The distance thing potentially could make sink cuts awkward to accurately achieve.

Glare and contrast seems to affect those with this condition more than others. So, for trainers like me who use a whiteboard (which can suffer from high reflectivity), it could make it difficult for learners to depict what it is that I'm drawing on the board.

I hope that's right!

pretty much spot on there sir. nicely translated for the layman. i find getting my gobs etc spot on quite difficult.