trailer towing sockets/euro socket?

shillo

fed up of having to replace these every year.

I have heard that the euro socket is better and utilises the reverse light on many newer trailer lights.

But this means having to re wire euro socket in.

Anyone done this? pros cons?

Unlessy ou have a very modern trailer,under two years old,you will have to upgrade the wiring as older ones won't have the purple reverse wire. Easiest way is to buy suitable length of 8 core wire and replace,

On Ifor Williams its a piece of p.ss!

They have junction boxes under the chassis,these are very easy to work with,so easy and durable that i cut out my rear wiring on the 130 put in a few of these and re wired….so totally protected form the elements, takes a few seconds to open and check any problems… IFOR WILLIAMS TRAILER LIGHTING BRITAX 10 WAY JUNCTION BOX 12/24 VOLT | eBay

ifor williams 8 core wire | eBay

Remember its only a matter of time until we have to have reverse lights anyway(Standard on new trailers already,so might as well start conforming,at least if you back into someone and have to claim then having reverse lights may be brownie points in your favour…..

Remember its only a matter of time until we have to have reverse lights anyway(Standard on new trailers already,so might as well start conforming,at least if you back into someone and have to claim then having reverse lights may be brownie points in your favour…..

yep that was what i was thinking.

But is the euro socket any better than standard 7 pin in terms of life expectancy?

I have an adapter on my brian james trailer, from 8 down to 7 pin, the pins on the 8 pin side seam to connect well, more like the clang type lorry socket. but the pins on the 7 pin side are not so good, iam getting bad connections there already

Tbh,im stocking up on the truck connectors, i run 4 trailers,chipper and 2 jeeps 1 van at the moment, had a 7.5ton as well but got fed upon it not fitting in gates, but i keep several spare 7 pin plugs sockets and flyleads, all lights are led,so now all my time is wasted fixing 7pin leads etc….

This year fitted cameras to each tow hitch for ease hitching at awkward angles and a wide angle for panoramic reversing, next steps cameras on all trailed gear and reversing lights, with beepers also, so that would require the extra pin for reverse light and 2more for camera,(wireless ones get a lot of interference ) so :HGV Direct truck and trailer parts online - ELECTRIC SUSIE SOCKET 15 PIN ISO 12098

is what will be fitting…..going to cost a bit to start but i would say once fitted it will make life bearable, these are very durable and you can wire in plug outlets on trailers for beacons etc with ease…. I had the 7 pin hgv type on the 7.5 ton and never had to fiddle with them….. nuff said!

I swapped to 13 pin plugs a few years back now and have had next to no trouble since. Good quality ones are the key.

Some thing I learnt was when wiring the plug or socket instead of just stripping the wires back and screwing them into the plug or socket I crimp a pin to the wire and then insert that into socket and do the screw up tight it works much much better.

I swapped to 13 pin plugs a few years back now and have had next to no trouble since. Good quality ones are the key.

Some thing I learnt was when wiring the plug or socket instead of just stripping the wires back and screwing them into the plug or socket I crimp a pin to the wire and then insert that into socket and do the screw up tight it works much much better.

thanks for the replies guys

so what make is a good quality one then?