Good books for forestry.

Rich2484

So I've been asked to start doing some work for a contractor. Mainly machine driving with the odd day here and there cutting.

Now I know most species of tree and can soon learn them.

But is there any good quick guide books for tree ident. And anything for forestry work?

Would like to have a good read up before hand just to get some good base knowledge going. Plus a book is always helpfull. :thumbup1:

Practical Forestry for the agent and surveyor. by Cyril Hart was my forestry Bible at uni and is still a book i refer to now if i want to brush up. it contains almost everything you need to know!

isbn 0 86299 962 6

my other fave is The Silviculture of Trees used in British Forestry by Peter S.Savill isbn 0 85198 739 7

which is a great guide to all the trees used in forestry in this country and talks about the best sites for them and there uses, its more forestry relevant than most tree guides which tend to have lots of garden and od ball trees in them.

hello always found these 2 books useful: tree identification CASSELLS trees of Britain and northern Europe....by david more and john white.

forestry: THE FORESTORS COMPANION by n d g james (this book is difficult to get hold of but it is well worth finding ,it might have been re printed by now .try amazon )

• 4 weeks later...

The best tree ID books I own are from the times before photography. A good book will give drawings detailing all identification characteristics e.g flower, bark, bud, fruit, overall form. They tend to have better descriptions too.

If your after forestry you should certainly be competent in identifying the 32 native trees as well as common forest tree planted in your region.

Oh and they all came from charity shops. :-) you have to dig but all the best books were owned by old folk. :o

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app

Practical Forestry for the agent and surveyor. by Cyril Hart was my forestry Bible at uni and is still a book i refer to now if i want to brush up. it contains almost everything you need to know!

isbn 0 86299 962 6

my other fave is The Silviculture of Trees used in British Forestry by Peter S.Savill isbn 0 85198 739 7

which is a great guide to all the trees used in forestry in this country and talks about the best sites for them and there uses, its more forestry relevant than most tree guides which tend to have lots of garden and od ball trees in them.

I would second this, 'practical forestry for the agent' is an excellent read an as DD says, like a bible.