Tree Surgeons 'Consulting' and Tree Consultants 'Surgerying'(?)

AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi all, hope you're well.

Prompted by noting several posts over the past few months where Tree Surgery businesses, as detailed in their signature strips, are proposing tree consultancy / reports etc. I felt compelled to post my concerns.

PLEASE, please, be sure before you embark on any tree reports / written advice / consultancy etc. that you are adequately qualified, suitably competent and appropriately insured (Professional Indemnity not Public Liability.) If you aren't, and particularly if it's a tree safety issue, or indeed an issue with legal implications, you could come unstuck :confused1:...despite your best intentions.

I guess I'm saying that knowing the extent of your knowledge and expertise, and not straying beyond this, is about being professional. :thumbup1:

Equally, I would similarly advise Tree Consultancy businesses to think very carefully about doing tree surgery works...not quite the same though I know.

Thanks all..

Paul

Paul

I understand your concerns and I don't admit to knowing everything or being qualified to the highest levels of consultancy. I have professional indemnity this year as well.

However, when does advising a prospective client what to do with a tree (deadwooding crown reduction etc) become consultancy? There must be a grey area or is it all considered consultancy and therefore anyone and everyone doing tree surgery should have indemnity cover as well as standard?

Just a question to prompt clarification for the benefit of others?

James

The term 'consultant' is meaningless, we are all consultants now . . .

Arboricultural consultants can be any one, with no quals and little experience. How does joe public identify the numpty from the highly trained expert.

A consultant doctor will have academic quals, been to university, studied for ever and a day, and maybe 20 years of experience in a particular field of medicine. He will be at the top of his game, educating more junior doctors and passing on his great depth of knowledge.

Arb consultants . . . anyone and everyone.

Paul

I understand your concerns and I don't admit to knowing everything or being qualified to the highest levels of consultancy. I have professional indemnity this year as well.

However, when does advising a prospective client what to do with a tree (deadwooding crown reduction etc) become consultancy? There must be a grey area or is it all considered consultancy and therefore anyone and everyone doing tree surgery should have indemnity cover as well as standard?

Just a question to prompt clarification for the benefit of others?

James

Hi James, hope you're well.

There's clearly some overlap here and making recommendations based on the clients desires and the tree condition and form etc. is part n parcel of contracting (and usually covered in PL insurance I believe.) I guess I'm referring to responses / requests for specific tree safety reports etc., as Steve said "when you put it in writing."

I'm not seeking to provoke here, perhaps a tad naïve I guess, just urging caution and hoping to make people think twice about doing stuff they may not be best placed to.

Cheers..

Paul

Hi James, hope you're well.

There's clearly some overlap here and making recommendations based on the clients desires and the tree condition and form etc. is part n parcel of contracting (and usually covered in PL insurance I believe.) I guess I'm referring to responses / requests for specific tree safety reports etc., as Steve said "when you put it in writing."

I'm not seeking to provoke here, perhaps a tad naïve I guess, just urging caution and hoping to make people think twice about doing stuff they may not be best placed to.

Cheers..

Paul

I think the OP was a point well made Paul