Qualifications Importance.

telhol

Hey every one im new and have a few questions.

First off i never get any solid information on what legally is required by law in tree surgery i have spoke with hse and training providers and its never clean cut.

I have been climbing for 4 years and im as professional as they come but i am not qualifed yet since every time i apply many training providers are over booked. I was tought by my old man who owns a business also i made a point of going to every main company in the area we all know each other, to learn as much as i could.

My point is i am as good as any qualified climber been tought what the courses expect and practice aerial rescues etc but why do the qualified climbers knock people who are not qualifed yet.

I believe experience far outways qualifications as i have come across many qualifed climbers that lack ability and rely on there qualifications and do bad tree work.

Im not after no abuse just honest decent advice on the matter thank you.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do the qualified climbers knock people who are not qualifed yet.

hi telhol. i'd like to address this statement first. That is just down to human nature im afraid, those who have moved 1 step up the ladder will always look down on people beneath them(in their eyes).....the same anywhere you look in society. this is a generalization of course, not everyones the same!

i personally didnt take my climbing qualifications till i had been climbing for 4 years. like you really, its just the way things worked out!

Im not after no abuse just honest decent advice on the matter thank you.

Think you will get that OK.

Get some proper training, then start to get some experiance.

Put it this way, if you went on an assesment now you would fail before you even get to start a saw or put a roap into a tree on safety alone

How do u get insurance without certs?

The HSE requires "competence". Proving competence in a court is the difficulty. An NPTC qualification is proof of competence to insurers, however you can get insured without NPTC or Lantra tickets (though I have never tried, or at least you could do ?????).

If you have Public liabilty insurance, with or without tickets then 3rd parties are covered provided the insurers know all of the details. Whether you choose to follow NPTC/HSE guidelines is then up to you.

"I believe experience far outways qualifications as i have come across many qualifed climbers that lack ability and rely on there qualifications and do bad tree work."

There are also alot of people with years of experience and ladders who happen to be doing bad tree work.

go to the nptc website, download the training schedules for each module you want to take. if you're confident enough that you can pass the assessment, you can opt to only do that bit without the course itself

however, if you cant do risk assessments, identify tonnes of safety stuff, and if you step behind the tree once the backcut is in, you're history im afraid.

it might not be the same for all nptc courses, but my training and assessment was rigorous, and i couldnt be more grateful for that!

[/2p]

well thanks all for replys

Im fully trained and have a decent number of years behind me to back my competence. I dont need some one else to tell me how to do my job i work with many different climbers most qualified i have read all infomation on all courses given to me by freinds who have done it. I work to bs3998 and i get many happy customers which is the whole point. The single reason i would even bother with the courses is cheaper insurance and i guess a little bit of pride knowing you have them. My point is in my experiance that being qualified rarely means some one can do the work just that they past a test that took one day. I look forward to your abuse lol.

well thanks all for replys

Im fully trained and have a decent number of years behind me to back my competence. I dont need some one else to tell me how to do my job i work with many different climbers most qualified i have read all infomation on all courses given to me by freinds who have done it. I work to bs3998 and i get many happy customers which is the whole point. The single reason i would even bother with the courses is cheaper insurance and i guess a little bit of pride knowing you have them. My point is in my experiance that being qualified rarely means some one can do the work just that they past a test that took one day. I look forward to your abuse lol.

I hear what you are saying and don't doubt you are very good at what you do, but if I was advertising for a climber to join my business and took you on I know my Insaurance company wouldn't like it one bit! So I'd pick someone else.

If you work for yourself and your insaurance company are happy then I don't see why its worth doing the tickets.

telhol

do you use a top handled chainsaw ?

experience cant be obtained from any college course however they do give you the knowledge with which you gain experience

no body can be taught past the point of their own ability or aptitude.

Natural ability & common sense are a blessing in everything we do, along with a decent portion of good luck coupled with a willingness to go home at the end of each day in the same shape as you started it

personally I did my climbing tickets 2 years after I started climbing ( I was self employed & didnt subby climb,or use a TH saw so it was never an issue )

the exams didnt make me a good climber, however they did prove that I was a competent one. independantly of my own opinion.

its always nice to get a pat on the back, as Steve says it is human nature & the arrogance/self assurance of us climbers that we all look down (figuratively & actually) on those who arent

You dont need to do a course, ring your nptc area organisor & book an exam, then do the exam & join the climbers club.

rgds

Iain