Hello, new member looking for some chainsaw advice please.

mr_magicfingers

My partner and I are in the process of buying a farm in Devon which has 6.5 acres of broadleaf woodland that we plan to manage as part of our proposed campsite. There are two woodburning stoves in the house and we plan to harvest wood for use in those, as the current owners do. I'm going to need a chainsaw obviously for log cutting and for management/maintenance of the woodland.

We discovered this weekend that the land also includes a stand of larch trees(I think, but need to double check) mature (15-20 year old we believe) about 90 of them that we'll want to fell to clear that section of land. I'm not going attempt that myself, I plan to get the professionals in but would hope to help with things like snedding and logging of the trees once down, there'll be plenty of that work to occupy everyone I would think.

The plan is to use them, if suitable, to build the decks for our bell tents and yurts, and also possibly to keep some as large timbers to frame the planned office/reception/shop to go on the site in a year or two and mill some of the trees to use as wany edged larch to clad the building. If we can do that it would have incredibly low inherent energy. Fell/mill/frame all on site. If they're not suitable for the framing then I'll have plenty of cladding boards and a lifetime's worth of firewood.

I'm planning on getting trained on this as I have never used a chainsaw before but recognise that you can probably get into more trouble faster with one than with anything other than tequila and handguns. My plan is to do the two ncp courses on basic chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting then the felling trees up to 15" course. Cost will be about £5-600 as I don't need the certification as I won't be doing this professionally unless there are better ideas anyone can offer. Although expensive I see this as cheap insurance as I'm likely to be using a chainsaw moderately regularly for the next 20 years or so.

I need to buy a chainsaw, and the appropriate safety equipment. I've never done anything like this before but I'm good with tools (do my own bike servicing etc) and I'm a hobby woodworker so have used table saws, routers etc and have a healthy respect for sharp things that go whizzzzzz.

Would one chainsaw be suitable for all of the things I'm likely to need it for or do I need different sizes and if so, what? This is a tool that will be with me for many years to come and see regular use so I'm looking for professional grade kit. Could you offer suggestions of what sort of thing would be suitable. I've looked at some retail sites and there are just so many choices it's hard to figure out what's suitable without more knowledge.

Feel free to add any advice as I'm a novice at this but always been handy with tools and diy and enjoy learning new things.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi sounds like you have the right idea in wanting to get some training before setting too and having a go. NPTC small trees is a good course and will be suitable for your needs however as you are not planning on undertaking professional work a Lantra chainsaw course could be more suitable for you, they should be cheaper they are aimed at farm users.

In terms of what saw to chose I would buy a Husqvarna 550xp with a 15inch bar. I am currently running 2 of these felling hardwood for fire wood and have been very impressed with them. Husqvarna saws have a good reputation for lasting i have a 10 year old 357xp which still gets frequent use and runs lovely.

from what you have said and this my own opinion but maybe a stihl 026/ms260 (same saw 026 is the older model) will handle up to an 18" bar I have even read about people using a 20" bar but I think that would be pushing the limits of what the saw can do and its a nice light saw so easy to use for long periods

all the best

Tim

Hi sounds like you have the right idea in wanting to get some training before setting too and having a go. NPTC small trees is a good course and will be suitable for your needs however as you are not planning on undertaking professional work a Lantra chainsaw course could be more suitable for you, they should be cheaper they are aimed at farm users.

In terms of what saw to chose I would buy a Husqvarna 550xp with a 15inch bar. I am currently running 2 of these felling hardwood for fire wood and have been very impressed with them. Husqvarna saws have a good reputation for lasting i have a 10 year old 357xp which still gets frequent use and runs lovely.

What Dan says :thumbup:

Lantra awards do expire Nptc City & Guilds currently dont , however updates are recommended especially if your a hobby user ..

as with much in life re the Saw you get what you pay for ,, if you intend to keep & use get a pro grade saw it should last in your application a very long time

Iain

Up to 15", the Husqvarna stable would be 346XP/357XP 50cc & 60cc and are now replaced by the 550XP and 560XP, all these saws are light enough to use all day but powerful enough to rip through this sort of cutting.

One of these saws should do it - the 60cc ones will be a little heavier but faster in the cut and more capable on the larger trunks.

PPE - like the other guys say - a set of trousers, helmet with face and hearing protection and boots with steel toe caps - I know someone that dropped a log on one foot on the first day and on the other on the second:lol:

Know the dangers of using this type of kit so you can avoid them, that is my advice!

As previous posts, courses will stand you in good stead and give you a fuller understanding of Chainsaw user and maintenance. However, 31 - small trees is def a good course to do, in your position a must!

As you plan to use and keep the saw long term, its either a Stihl - 026/260/261 - all developments of the same saw

Or Husqvarna 550 or 560 xpg. would all do a job.

Do a search here and you will find a fair bit of debate on the ins out outs of the above and similar size models and the manufacturers.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything else.

Good luck and hope it all pans out

I would recommend getting nptc trained especially if you have never used a chainsaw there is so much that could go wrong ive had two experiences of this. The chainsaws that have been mentioned are perfectly fine with what you are wanting to use them for.

boots, trousers (front protection) as there are two types front and all round, gloves, hat with visor and ear muffs. look online for this stuff its simpler and you don't have a salesman giving you the hard sell trying to make you buy expensive stuff.

have fun and play safe