Lantra Professional Tree Inspection course.

Tim Williams

I am currently working as a tree inspector for a county council highways partnership carrying out VTA's on roadside trees and am being put on the above course, I wondered if anyone has done it and can help with any info about what's covered. I have quite good knowledge about fungi etc and can recognise the most common ones. I know this is tested in the course but wondered if you need to know loads of different ones also how in depth do they test other pest/diseases.

Glad to hear you are being given the opportunity to do this technical award by your employer...How did you get a job you are not qualified for n the first place?

Perhaps the local council authorities should seek out appropriately qualified and experienced employees...how comes this PTI award was devised in part.

Sorry to say it annoys me that inspectors and surveyors are all too often not up to the mark...like bad tree officers.....a tree surgeons nemesis!!

Good luck....I enjoyed it but then I'm a bit strange ......!

Mmmm...I accept your point MrT...infact, a level 3 qual is described as a prerequisite for the course....

I reckon if you are smart, you can wing the PTI with little or no experience or training...it really doesnt go into very much detail...

Nevertheless, it is assumed you will have an " adequate" understanding of the various facets involved....A worthwhile training session also for what its worth imo.

I don't think it's meant to be a "training" it is an overview of stuff you should know and an exam which you need to 75% (I think) to pass.

I think it is split:

20% of the marks from 4 fungi

40% from some short answer questions

and 40% from two tree inspections, with an automatic fail if you miss something obvious.

Like I said before it is not a training course. You will learn something but don't expect to be taught how to inspect trees. If you do that already do a bit of reading, study the fungi threads and go for it.

MR bundle to clarify I already have a national diploma in countryside management (merit), HNC in small woodland management and arboriculture and 6 years experience as a senior climber and 10 years working in both amenity trees and the utillity sector, so while I do not have a degree I am suitably qualified, I also have a thirst for knowledge and do a lot of reading off my own back.

• Thanks 1

for the fungi, you need to know what it is, host species, what type rot it creates soft/brown/white. that was the bit i fell down on. other than that, it's pretty straight forward. diagnosis or ill health in trees is a good book to read before you go too.

for the fungi, you need to know what it is, host species, what type rot it creates soft/brown/white. that was the bit i fell down on. other than that, it's pretty straight forward. diagnosis or ill health in trees is a good book to read before you go too.

The process involves naming the fungi from actual fruit bodies.....the rest is open book....there is absolutely no reason to fall down here whatsoever mate....unless you cant read or write...in which case I would say you should not be inspecting trees professionally......!:confused1:

( As a matter of interest...id is from books also....)

The process involves naming the fungi from actual fruit bodies.....the rest is open book....there is absolutely no reason to fall down here whatsoever mate....unless you cant read or write...in which case I would say you should not be inspecting trees professionally......!:confused1:

( As a matter of interest...id is from books also....)

Appologies Tim, can you please clarify for me whether or not the Bracket Id you had was either showing pictures of fruit bodes or actual fb's.

I may be having a senior moment here :confused1::blushing:

Cheers

David