AFAG revisions

kipperfeet

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go on then - lets hear what the thoughts are? :001_cool::thumbdown::scared1:

the main issue is WHY BOTHER

As those that these guidance notes really need to affect seem never to be brought to book, or much less care...

we can debate the finer points but untill the HSE get of their arse & sought out the cowboys all that effectively happens is the professionals end up with more infrastructure & cost issue's whilst trying to remain competitive in an uneven market.. that then leads to appathy which undermines the real benefit that could be brought if the industry felt its engagement with the Hse would develop, rather than a fake attempt to deal with this issue of safety.

its okay to discuss debate & develop gentlemen, but at present this is a muted point & many companies are facing very real difficulties out there and have to survive in the real world.

why burden them with this now when their are so many that simple ignor the rules & are ignored by those who should act to deal with these operators

I have personally contacted the Hse several times about major issues I have observed, No PPE etc no harness's no etc etc, it did exactly nothing, they the Hse could not react within hours more like days,, it seems that they can only react when the wheel has come off ,, so whats the point in a proactive body that cant act proactivly or even reactively

I dont presume to tell people how to do their job, even 'when' I can do my own

Edited by Yorkshireman

the main issue is WHY BOTHER

As those that these guidance notes really need to affect seem never to be brought to book, or much less care...

we can debate the finer points but untill the HSE get of their arse & sought out the cowboys all that effectively happens is the professionals end up with more infrastructure & cost issue's whilst trying to remain competitive in an uneven market.. that then leads to appathy which undermines the real benefit that could be brought if the industry felt its engagement with the Hse would develop, rather than a fake attempt to deal with this issue of safety.

its okay to discuss debate & develop gentlemen, but at present this is a muted point & many companies are facing very real difficulties out there and have to survive in the real world.

why burden them with this now when their are so many that simple ignor the rules & are ignored by those who should act to deal with these operators

I couldn't agree more. Theres a direct correlation between them and not getting off their fat ones; and accidents in the industry. I blame the HSE for chainsaw accidents. They may well have hands tied by lack of man power, but you'd think every now and again they'd have a pop at cleaning out the dead wood. Grumble grumble.

ppe sum total investment 15quid for high viz bomber jacket, I knew I was over doing it !!!

& using a tophandled saw too, did you report this to the HSE Pete ?

For what it was worth I did report it. However they were unable to send anyone from Leeds (approx 20 miles along the M62) within the hour or so I expected them to finish there work. They were happy for me to get the homeowners and workers details for them though.........

For those who have an issue with such things being reported; if you do not- DON'T YOU DARE COMPLAIN!

That is a brilliant photo :001_smile:

I agree with everything that has been said.

Too many times have I seen contractors working for the LA with hardly any PPE never mind pedestrian or traffic control and thought yeah if I reported it who would care and as it seems no one :sad:

Well maybe I should start to harass the HSE and LA's if we see this going on if they hear enough complaints then maybe they might start to get a bit proactive :sneaky2:

Truth is that nobody cares until it goes wrong. All the legislation in the world is only there to prosecute you after the fact.

If the HSE AA BSI ISA LA etc did care then we'd have a situation where no tree work could be done by anybody unless standards were met,checked and maintained. Just like the Rail Network around the country - mind you all the new legislation there only came about when some cowboy builders working for Railtrack left a few bolts undone and NOBODY noticed causing train derailment and multiple death.

Too many people are making money out of training,legislating and not enforcing rules that the reasonably honest amongst us try to live within.

Large parts of the way our country operates suck big time.

Perhaps its time that those who have to live under the rules (us) did something about it?