Marketing coppice type products

I've recently picked up some ongoing work in an area of woodland I did some work in a few years ago that should be a nice little project with no real time constraints that I can pretty much drop onto when it's a bit quieter.

It's a steepish valley with what should make a really nice crop of larch before too long, but has a good amount of smaller hardwoods in amongst it that are to be dealt with. There'll be a reasonable amount of decent hardwood but there's also a good amount of undersized stuff that I'd like to extract a value from, other than the usual firewood for ourselves.

I've had machinery round the site in the past but it's probably going to be a much more lower impact approach than last time, with the tractor and trailer only coming in occasionally when really needed and trying to get away from just rattling out wood to roadside.

Anyway, what I'm considering is a bit of charcoaling (as there's a reasonable priced kiln just come up a few miles away) but don't know whether I'd have the time/inclination at the moment to try and retail it or deal with smaller wholesale orders - other than bioregional, does anyone know of any other big buyers?

Also, has anyone had much luck with selling firewood in billets? Every man and his dog sells logs round us and they are mostly far too cheap to make it worth doing so I'm weighing up other options. Maybe even wholesale bulk?

Hi Chris,

hope you're well

Give Richard Thomason at The Small Woods Association a ring 01952 432769, he is the small woods national coppice development manager, and is trying to sort a website to promote and sell coppice type products for woodland workers to try and make a central website where people can find out what products are available with some indication of stock levels on it. It could be beneficial if your doing a bit of coppice.

B&Q certainly used to take it from independent producers such as yourself. Is Yorwoods still in existence? They should be able to advise.

Spoke to Ben at Yorwoods and the Yorkshire Burners cooperative doesn't exist in the same way as it once did but he did give me a couple of leads.

Hi Chris,

hope you're well

Give Richard Thomason at The Small Woods Association a ring 01952 432769, he is the small woods national coppice development manager, and is trying to sort a website to promote and sell coppice type products for woodland workers to try and make a central website where people can find out what products are available with some indication of stock levels on it. It could be beneficial if your doing a bit of coppice.

Cheers Charlie, that sounds promising. :thumbup1:

Are you on the stand at the APF this time?

not if i can help it :lol: Im there for two days and I think I will be on the stand for an hour or so late friday morning, want to actually see some of the show for once! Richard will be on the stand though the rest of the time so it would be worth trying to catch up with him for a chat