felling cuts

Steve Bullman

what felling cuts are being taught at colleges these days? seems most of the people i see fresh out of college are using very shallow felling cuts, which are fine for production, but IMO not very useful in arb.

Anyone recently out of college who has been taught any technical felling technique, ie, tapered hinges etc?

personally i always fell a tree 10" from the ground

:cussing: Always got to be that bit bigger!

My last one was 8 feet so the customer could nail a fence panel to it. They had forgotten what daylight was and where overwhelmed to the point of needing to reduce it.

As far as cuts a couple of years ago no advanced stuff, there was a good range of cuts for diff situations. A lot was accuracy of cuts and how to deal safely with hung trees.

Shallow cuts were encouraged with relation to buttresses. ie counting the buttress as part of the cut diam. as opp toremoving them first then putting in a gob (25%) with gob hight according to uphill/downhill etc.

When I was at college we were taught 'split level' cuts, 'dog tooth cuts' and the normal felling cut. Also with 'letterbox' cuts (cutting the middle out of the hinge) when necessary.

Since starting work I have never used the split level cut but have used the dog tooth cut on a few occasions eg when using a winch/pull line.