AP 10mm class II

Bruce

First attempt at classII splice on 10mm AP. Used the Donaghys instructions. I know the eye is baggy, I need the pull the cover tight when tucking it back at the end, not the best wipping either. Any positive advice much appreciated. Thanks

59766020ded55_APSplice.jpg.75d82fd2aee2e9617b14d5f49ff20dce.jpg

The 10mm isn't poly core yet mate.......I think?

Would like to give a class 2 splice a go but with how much AP costs per meter I'd hate to balls it up! Haha.

As Carl says the whipping needs work but not a bad lookin splice mate. Is there a final bury like in a class 1? As this is the part where the bagginess is eradicated? Having never done one I'm not sure how the splice is finished.

As far am I'm aware the 10mm that i have is still class II, unless you use a modified class I splice. I diidnt have access to the modified class I so stuck with what i knew. The new different colour, armor prus poly is class I. But if anyone can correct please do.

I need to not rush my whipping as it can make a tidy splice look messy. Thanks for the advice tho.

Old snake: at the end of the splice you have the eye which is covered by the cover but then plenty of excess cover. The donaghys instructions say bury the cover between the core and cover one inch at the start of the eye. I thought I had pulled it tight enough but the when smoothing out the rest of the splice the baggy ness appeared again.

Samson intructions say Just bring the cover down the neck of the rope and lockstitch in place making sure its twice the diameter of rope.

Hope that all makes sense, think I'm gonna re-whip it now.

Thanks

The 10mm isn't poly core yet mate.......I think?

Would like to give a class 2 splice a go but with how much AP costs per meter I'd hate to balls it up! Haha.

As Carl says the whipping needs work but not a bad lookin splice mate. Is there a final bury like in a class 1? As this is the part where the bagginess is eradicated? Having never done one I'm not sure how the splice is finished.

Ah, thanks Hadders.

Nice video dog tag. If only arborists PPE lines were that loose to splice! Haha. Thee video is for a class 1 double braid though mate. If I ever get my Samson splicing manual back I think I'm gonna give a class 2 whirl.

Cheers for the info Bruce I think that makes sense? Haha

How much rope do you lose for the splice?

Donaghys say you 500m. Samson say two fid lengths. It's a long bury. I've got it on my side strop using a cinch. So will see how it goes when using the cinch.

They have good pdf's on the Samson website.