Home study

DarrenT

Eventually I want to be a climber. I have little bit of groundwork experience but I'm finding it difficult getting into the industry. I can't afford to work for nothing or study full time so I thought some home study may help boost my CV. Any suggestions or am I on the wrong track with home study?

Years ago, I did the NAA home study course. It was pretty good. I did the basic arb but never got around to the advanced arb bit.

I came to the sad conclusion that the only way I was going to earn more money was by shinning up more trees!

• 2 weeks later...

hi darran

i have just started the hcc distance course for the rfs course and it seems to be very interesting, bit daunting at first just getting a load of workbooks but soon got into it. seems to be well thought of judging by past posts on here. i think its a good idea to learn the thoery and the practicle side by side as on the job it can be just a case of ye just cut it down and go home.. good luck with it which ever option you choose. carl

hi darren

cant think of much particular advice as just started really.sent off one lesson already semmed to take more of my time than i had banked on( 3to 4 hours wk) but i guess this would vary for each individual. the net seems good for study(till you get side track onto here for hours!!) good luck with it and hope you can pick up some work in the industry soon, i was very lucky and landed a job were the boss paid for all my training and trained me too. carl