Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Training & education Get advice on which colleges/courses suit your needs best. Discuss NPTC training, assessments, also ongoing development

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-10-08   #1 (permalink)

Home study

Hey guys Im thinking of doing a home study course in arboriculture but not sure which one to do. I already have a level 2 in coutryside conservation do any of you have any ideas of which might be the best to do?
Old 26-10-08   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013

what do you plan on doing job wise?! or are there any areas that intrest you?
Old 26-10-08   #3 (permalink)

Eventually I want to be a climber. I have little bit of groundwork experience but I'm finding it difficult getting into the industry. I can't afford to work for nothing or study full time so I thought some home study may help boost my CV. Any suggestions or am I on the wrong track with home study?
Old 26-10-08   #4 (permalink)

Location: in the bath...wondering where all the little bits of Leylandii are coming from...?!

Years ago, I did the NAA home study course. It was pretty good. I did the basic arb but never got around to the advanced arb bit.
I came to the sad conclusion that the only way I was going to earn more money was by shinning up more trees!
Old 26-10-08   #5 (permalink)

Whatdo youm think of the RFS?
Old 03-11-08   #6 (permalink)

hi darran
i have just started the hcc distance course for the rfs course and it seems to be very interesting, bit daunting at first just getting a load of workbooks but soon got into it. seems to be well thought of judging by past posts on here. i think its a good idea to learn the thoery and the practicle side by side as on the job it can be just a case of ye just cut it down and go home.. good luck with it which ever option you choose. carl
Old 04-11-08   #7 (permalink)

Re: Home study

Thanks Carl I think the hcc is the one I'm going to go for could you give me any advice about the course
Old 04-11-08   #8 (permalink)

Have you considered the Arb Associations Tech Cert? It's level 3 and well respected within the industry. It can be studied online or one day per week around the country... have a look at www.treelifetraining.co.uk . Or you can just go straight for the exams
Old 07-11-08   #9 (permalink)

hi darren
cant think of much particular advice as just started really.sent off one lesson already semmed to take more of my time than i had banked on( 3to 4 hours wk) but i guess this would vary for each individual. the net seems good for study(till you get side track onto here for hours!!) good luck with it and hope you can pick up some work in the industry soon, i was very lucky and landed a job were the boss paid for all my training and trained me too. carl
Old 08-11-08   #10 (permalink)

I thought the HCC prof dip prep course (3 years ago) was pants...