The Building Sheriff

Lee Winger

You don't think £700 a day for two guys is enough????????????

No I think making up a list of rates that tradesmen should be charging is a joke, I might require a lot less, or in half a day I might be able to knock out two 50' trees in which case, with my 2 man crew, mewp and 18'' chipper I might need a whole lot more the £350 do they mention VAT [nope]

My point is do you want ''the building sheriff'' dictating to you how much you charge?

They don’t dictate what you charge, you decide that and the client decides if they want to engage you.

They will be dictating if all your local customers read the link and your competition crumble!

I should like to be a two man landscape gang and charge £250 per day which includes running about all over the place, as the nature of landscaping invariably does, lol not forgetting dumping waste...

http://www.buildingsheriff.com/landscape-gardening-costs.html

What a plonker, the professionalism is out standing :

'Purely from a practical point of view however, I can give a bit of advice on where not to plant trees.

Firstly, just like puppies, trees tend to grow. So think about sunlight being blocked out of your kitchen in 20 years time.

Trees also have roots, these travel a long way and have scant respect for foundations, let alone drains.

Think about diseases, plant a tree that’s not likely to need felling in 10 years.

Then there’s shade. My garden has a fantastic view, when we moved in it was a jungle so we cut everything down in order to revel in the fabulous bucolic splendour. Now I wish I’d not been so hasty, we don’t have a scrap of shade.

Don’t forget, if you’re contemplating felling a tree, there may be a preservation order on it. Cut it down and you’ll be fined and have to plant another in it’s place.

Lastly, if I was to plant a tree, I’d plant a useful one. A pear tree perhaps, I’m fond of a nice juicy…………..Oh grow up for God's sake!'

I am glade that the person that is clamping down on cowboys has got all his facts right......../not

The author is a plonker imo, read what he thinks about garden designers bottom paragraph....

See that piece of string over there, pop over and see how long it is will you! I can’t think of any other jobs to price up for you where there there are so many variables.

We’re not talking turfing or patios or decking now, but modelling your garden with interesting features, quirky areas and fascinating little corners. You want imagination, you want a certain “je ne say... kwar...choir……………. What you want is that bloke off the telly!

One thing’s for certain, don’t expect to get the average builder along and ask him for ideas. He might come up with “get the grass cut” but that will be it.

Either design it yourself, then spend many happy house having morning coffee in those places that sell plants and stuff on the side…….garden centres, that’s it. Sort out what you want and where, draw a plan, then get the landscapers in.

Or, hang around on a street corner and wait until a thin bloke with a pony tail and no tattoos or earrings comes along. He will be a garden designer, (ex public school drop out, called Raif or Rupert, smokes roll ups, you know the type of thing), ask him!

Edited by Lee Winger