Lantra or NPTC ??????

Treegeek

My firm is offering us CS tickets but the guys that have done them are only geting lantra quallifictions.

As far as i understood is that lantra provide the trainnig structure then NPTC is the proof that your capable to the (basic) standard so there for if you only hold lantra tickets that to me means that the indivdual has been trained to for example areil rescue but compitance is :scared1:??

Please could any one set me right :confused1:

Thats how I undertand it.

Lantra = training towards/preparing for NPTC unit

NPTC = passing assesmnet in the module eg CS30

Only time where Lantra may be of use on its own is where HSE recomend training as opposed to specifying certification (think woodchipper was appropriate training, dont know if it is still the same)

Once you have completed Lantra you can perform that task in your workplace (under supervision of a qualified person) to further develop/practice your skills before taking your NPTC assesment. I think there is however a timescale recomended between lantra training and assesment (ie not recomended to be more than 6 months or something like that) but might be wrong on that.

Thats how I undertand it.

Lantra = training towards/preparing for NPTC unit

NPTC = passing assesmnet in the module eg CS30

Only time where Lantra may be of use on its own is where HSE recomend training as opposed to specifying certification (think woodchipper was appropriate training, dont know if it is still the same)

Once you have completed Lantra you can perform that task in your workplace (under supervision of a qualified person) to further develop/practice your skills before taking your NPTC assesment. I think there is however a timescale recomended between lantra training and assesment (ie not recomended to be more than 6 months or something like that) but might be wrong on that.

(You get a lantra cert for attending the training - forgot that bit!)

Last time I got sent on a LANTRA course (NVQ in winter maintenance - I.e. snow ploughing & blowing) they said they required a photo & said it was mandatory, I refused on the grounds that they didn’t have the legal mandate to require a photo of me unlike the legal mandate required for passports or driving licence, I asked if they did have the legal mandate to require a compulsory photo under what law was it granted & what was there data protection statement & who would they supply the information they held on me to, after all even the police don’t have a legal mandate to take a photo of you like they have the legal mandate to take your fingerprints by force when you are arrested!

LANTRA were unable to tell me under what law they had a mandate to require a photo & refused to tell me there data protection & who they would supply information they held on me to, needless to say they didn’t get a photo then said that I could have my NVQ without a photo. :001_smile:

I hate organisations that just blindly ask for information etc that they don’t need. :thumbdown:

LANTRA is the sector skills council for the industry and NPTC is now 'owned' by City & Guilds.

Anyway, LANTRA do provide both training and assessment - but it's not quite the same as NPTC. So, whilst LANTRA can offer chainsaw maintenance training and assessment (for example) it tends to be aimed for farmers et al - rather than the arb / forestry industry.

The NPTC assessment is generally regarded as the industry recognised standard for competency.

Seek training any way you want but you wont beat working for a company looking learning and trying it for yourself.

Tickets to me are nothing more than a piece of paper that allows me to do what i been doing for years.

This hse red tape world makes me sick tbh most guys fresh from a course cant do jack yet they are allowed right into the commercial world of arb.

But if you wanna nptc is all were interested in.