PTI 3 day course in a week prep advice please

Tony.Price

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTI 3 day course in a week.

Have been walking around with a 'weel barrow full of books' for the past few weeks in prep.

Has anyone got experience advice on the course and preperation? :confused1:

Thanks in advanced

Tony

Hi tony- firstly best of luck! do you know the fungi you need to know for the test? if not I will find the list for you, basically if you have a fungi ID book and put sticky notes on the fungi that you need to know your half way there as you can use the book in that part of the test.

the tree inspection my advice is to be as thorough as you can, you get enough time for it! get all your equipment ready for use before the time starts(seems obvious, but i was surprised seeing people untangaling dbh tapes etc! )

and for the test part, is where apparently most people struggle(my point of view the hardest part) where you have to answer the questions word for word with no referances, my advice is to make notes on everything and go over them time and time again after each day, i can give you my notes, but i dont no if thats cheating or not!

best of luck and if you want the fungi list just say!

cheers ciaran glyde

Thanks for the response Ciaran,

I do not have a fungi ident list. only a list of reading material, so the list would be great:001_smile:.

I am limited localy for life examples but the Fungi pics and discussions posted here at Arb Talk are great for revision:001_smile:.

Any advice on areas for notes would be great to focus my revision and time spent!. I have most of the next week set aside to prepare.

15 years since I completed college, am really enjoying learning again!:001_rolleyes:

Thankyou for any help you can offer:thumbup:

Tony

Here is the list of fungi- who ever posted it on arb talk first thanks so much- I doubt I would of passed other wise!

Professional Tree Inspection Course Fungal Organism List

Armillaria mellea

Fistulina hepatica

Fomes fomentarius

Ganoderma spp (adspersum/applanatum)

Grifola frondosa

Heterobasidion annosum

Inonotus dryadeus

Inonotus hispidus

Laetiporus sulphureus

Meripilus giganteus

Perenniporia fraxinea

Phaeolus schweinitzii

Phellinus tuberculosus

Piptoporus betulinus

Polyporus squamosus

Rigidoporus ulmarius

Sparassis crispa

Kretzschmaria deusta (Ustulina deusta)

I would also reccomend clause matthecks manual of wood decay, I got the book and with the list made flash cards of each fungi, takes time but works well and great asset for the future, I will email you mine if you want, I think I'm going to put it on arb talk for everyone else anyway. If there's anything else you want to ask don't hesitate asking.

Cheers ciaran glyde

kretzshmaria deusta was ustulina deusta

I heard from someone- (cant remember who!) that the boffins at kew have decided its swapped round again, im not sure which one it is now!

but im sure you would of heard about it to, so dont talk me 100%!

cheers ciaran glyde