RFS level 2 FULL certification

RobArb

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myerscough are doing the ABC RFS L2 course online and as far as I know it's changed so you don't need NPTC tickets to get the RFS qual.

Advanced Course Search - Royal Forestry Society Certificate in Arboriculture On-Line

Email them for info - they are mega helpful and very quick (unlike the numpties in the admissions dept at a certain Kent land based college I could mention! - Just outside of Tonbridge......on the way to Paddock Wood.....). :sneaky2:

That's odd, that's the only current provider that I have seen that doesn't say anything about NPTC units to get the full certificate. Everywhere else (that I 've seen recently) lists this course as RFS Cert (Theory) and that you need a mystery amount of the practical tickets to get the full cert'.

And noone seems to say what those "requisite amount" of NPTCs are!

Hi there, i'm currently doing the RFS and our information says that there are 3 theory modules, passing these will give you RFS certified arb (theory only). There are then 4 compulsory practical tickets you need Planting, CS30, CS31 and Chipper, and a list from which you need to choose 3 optional tickets (all the usual CS units and a few AO units etc) Once you pass the practical units you get the full RFS certificate and theres no time limit on passing your practical bits.

Hope this helps Graham

As far as i know, the course is changing from Sept and there will no longer be a need for the NPTC ticks - that's what i have gathered from Myerscough. The assessment has cahnged too and will all be done via course wirk rather than exam. As I say, they were very helpful - the guy running the course is Tom Devine, might be worth an email:

[email protected]

This is what tom told me a few weeks back - don't think he'll mind me quoting directly from our correspondance:

"We currently run both the RFS (level 2) and AA Tech Cert (level 3) certificates in Arboriculture as online options at Myerscough. The difference is that as from Sept 2011 the RFS moves from an external exam to coursework based assessment. The period of time is the same Sept to June for both courses but for the moment the AA Tech Cert will remain and external exam and management days assessed qualification (however I do believe that this will change in the near future).

With regards to NPTC's - there is no requirement on either course to hold them, however I think that you would agree that having them will help you understand more easily the theory based learning. Practical experience really helps you understand the application and simply consolidates your learning.

Currently we cover 6 Units with one being Basic understanding of Forestry (incl ecology) but as you have read next year this will change to 5 compulsory units and the 6th will be an elective unit which gives you 4 options to choose from including managing special trees. So you would opt for the one that interests you the most.

The RFS online course is spoon fed approach where you get to cover 2 units per academic term (3 terms in total) and you get a weekly download of materials and learning activities to undertake. I would recommend that you spend somewhere between 5-8 hours a week minimum (depending on your level of intellect and interest) on the materials. The online learning is supported by Myerscough staff both on academic and IT levels. As yet I cant comment on what the coursework will entail as I am currently working on them for next year but I would be thinking along the lines of a couple of pieces of work per unit to be submitted at the end of each unit taken - but more on that when it is confirmed.

The AA Tech Cert for next year will remain the same as this year where you study the materials etc (approx 15 units/elements) over the 3 terms and then you sit 3 exams in one day in June followed by some management exercises on later days in the year as part of the overall assessment process."

Hope this helps dudes.

:thumbup1:

• 3 months later...