Where / How to get started!

Matt-B

Hey guys, first time poster on here, just wanted to pick your brains if you will !

I'm 22 based in the West Midlands area. I've farted around at uni with a useless degree and now want to go into something always been niggling away inside me since working in various garden centres and seeing them lads up in the trees!

Few questions for you firstly what's the best way to get into it! By reading the posts here I'm under the impression that the best way is to get me foot in the door with a local business, start as a groundie and while gaining experience go in for my qualifications (am I right in thinking the 30/31 and 38/39 are the first few I need?)

What would you look for when taking on a new guy? Would you want them to go into it this route or via another such as get all your quals then come knocking on my door?

Thirdly what's a good 'guesstimate' that once you're in a job you can get up in the trees and start climbing? I understand of course the need to learn all the basics and start on the ground.

Any other links / sites / threads you can advise me to get me teeth into?

Cheers guys look forward to a response, here's to me first post of many!:thumbup1:

From a financial point of view, I would seek some part-time work locally, even if its just dragging and raking, see if you like the job before committing yourself to the expense of chainsaw training and assessment. The employment market is chocca-block with newly trained people who have never really worked in the job, and its a bit of an eye-opener for some. Good luck, hope it all works out for you:thumbup1:

hi matt

i think if you could do your ground certs ( cs 30/31) off your own back you would be in a much better position to get some work as a groundie.

it does sound as though work is thin over in uk so as a beginer could be tough to start, i guess if you can the work a lot for a little always seems to impress bosses!

on the climbing side you could see if anyone does any recreational tree climbing in your area to get a go at it.

companys may well train you up to climb if your keen too.

gd luck

caRL

You could always start your own business doing general ground clearance and pruning - man in a van. Depends on what you want.

Looks like doing the labouring may be the way in, always better to get round and personally introduce yourself, may strike lucky - offer to do a week at half rate as a work out etc.

Good luck and hope you get something

Spud

Phone around a few firms/conservation charities and see if you like the feel of outside manual work. Then i'd go to a local college and do a CS30 maybe 31 too and get some more experence working with a firm.

Jobs seem to be hard to find for guys just out of college at the moment. Everyone wants to climb or fell massive trees but no one wants to rake/sweep up or neatly stack timber.

Cheers guys thanks for the heads up, think I'm gonna get my 30/31 passed and go to local employers. May have a look into possible funding for it as I'm going from my own savings.

How much do you guys reckon should be put aside for PPE, give me a conservative ball park figure and I'll see what I could scramble, possibly bag some ebay bargains!

cheers guys thanks for the heads up, think i'm gonna get my 30/31 passed and go to local employers. May have a look into possible funding for it as i'm going from my own savings.

How much do you guys reckon should be put aside for ppe, give me a conservative ball park figure and i'll see what i could scramble, possibly bag some ebay bargains!

£250-300