advice for the (mature) beginner

fowler

Hi everyone - I'm hoping to start getting myself qualified in a couple of months time (CS30/31/38/39, plus Brushwood Chipper and MEWP Operations qualifications), and would be grateful for views from the forum about whether these should be sufficient to make me employable.

Oh, one other thing - I'll be 36 when I (hopefully) qualify. I get the impression this makes me ancient in climber terms, and while I'm not about to be put off by what other people think, I'd be interested to know how many people think I might just be wasting my time.

Cheers

Fowler

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave: Hi everyone! New to this forum.

I'm in a similar situation to yourself Fowler. 37 years old and just attempting my cs tickets. i had them ten years ago but never put them to use,then found out they had expired!

Anyway;nearly through a one year arb national certificate and will be looking for work shortly. On the plus side the small amount of climbing i have done with people in the trade or with experienced practical teachers has resulted in very good feed back due to my positive and mature approach to the task at hand.

Are you hoping to gain employment with a firm or go it alone? I'm not sure which would be the best approach for a guy my age - can't really afford to drag brash for next couple of years!

For you guys who are just starting out, I would always employ a more mature steady type over young and dumb. both my subbie cutters are in their 40's. There are plenty of young fast climbers out there, sell yourselves on your ability to drive all the trucks, organise jobs, turn up on time, not suffer from beer flu, etc etc.

:wave: Hi everyone! New to this forum.

I'm in a similar situation to yourself Fowler. 37 years old and just attempting my cs tickets. i had them ten years ago but never put them to use,then found out they had expired!

Anyway;nearly through a one year arb national certificate and will be looking for work shortly. On the plus side the small amount of climbing i have done with people in the trade or with experienced practical teachers has resulted in very good feed back due to my positive and mature approach to the task at hand.

Are you hoping to gain employment with a firm or go it alone? I'm not sure which would be the best approach for a guy my age - can't really afford to drag brash for next couple of years!

Seriously - this industry is plauged by newly CS'ed guys going out and thinking they'll start their own business. Those couple of years dragging brash for another company will teach you way more about the job than any course ever will.

Trust me on this, go and work for somebody and get the experience.

Seriously - this industry is plauged by newly CS'ed guys going out and thinking they'll start their own business. Those couple of years dragging brash for another company will teach you way more about the job than any course ever will.

Trust me on this, go and work for somebody and get the experience.

Qualifications are important to get employment, the education behind them is everything, the experience of actually putting it into practce with acompany is essential. Mr Ed is spot on.

Hi Fowler / All,

I'm 36 & have just done my CS30/31/38/39 & am just about to do a Lantra Chipper course. I'm also contemplating my next move, unfortunately I have a big mortgage etc etc so need to earn reasonable money to cover this. I'm thinking of trying to get some part time (Thurs / Fri) & weekend tree work locally to gain some valuable experience & do some smaller tree work myself for the first half of the week (I realise I'll have to be selective / sensible and not take on anything beyond my capabilites !). Any thoughts ...........