Hello! and a few questions if i may?

Hi this is my first post here i have had a look through some of the post and already found alot of usefull information.

I work as a motorbike mechanic, although for the last few years have been a self employed contract farmer and landscaper but im now looking to change carrer and really want to be a tree surgeon after doing a bit of work on a farm with a team.

Im looking to do my CS30/31 at hadlow college, has any one here any exprience with this college?

Also i wonder if any one could offer me advice on the best way to find work after I have these tickets,and if the way the economy is where there really is any work for a new tree surgeon?I would look for labouring work now as im sure thats the best route in to the industry but my bills forbid me!

I appreciate any advice you can offer me!

Thanks,

Pat

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi this is my first post here i have had a look through some of the post and already found alot of usefull information.

I work as a motorbike mechanic, although for the last few years have been a self employed contract farmer and landscaper but im now looking to change carrer and really want to be a tree surgeon after doing a bit of work on a farm with a team.

Im looking to do my CS30/31 at hadlow college, has any one here any exprience with this college?

Also i wonder if any one could offer me advice on the best way to find work after I have these tickets,and if the way the economy is where there really is any work for a new tree surgeon?I would look for labouring work now as im sure thats the best route in to the industry but my bills forbid me!

I appreciate any advice you can offer me!

Thanks,

Pat

I went to hadlow while I was still at school one day a week seemed a decent college also got friends who go there who dont complain about it.

Where abouts are you based?

There seems to be almost daily someone like yourself or infact some experienced and qualified who comes on here and asks for work so its not going to be easy for you to find a job but it can be done.

Ring round the local tree companies and ask for work experience for free then maybe when you have got your foot in the door there maybe work for you paid. Also keep an eye on here work does come up sometimes.

good luck and welcome to arbtalk

Im based in Gillingham in kent, another college i was looking at plumpton college too as my girl friend lives close to there.

I understand work will probably be hard to come by but im pretty determined!

Can any one recomend and books that would be good to study?

Whilst im here, if any one close to medway or east grinstead ever has any mechanical problems let me know!

Pat

Hello :-)

CS 30 and 31 dont make you a tree surgeon - do you mean a groundie? You should normally have at least aerial rescue, chipper and First Aid at Work as well to work as a groundsman. A qualification in Arboriculture would also be an advantage. If you want to become a tree surgeon (climber) then you will need further NPTC tickets and probably a course in Arb. Courses normally have a work placement element to them so you could gain experience while you learn, and they give you the chance to get the tickets you need.

What does anyone else think?

Hi mate.

Try kingswood training services, i recently did 30,31,38,39 there and the place is brilliant. Richard the guy who runs it is an awesome bloke with loads of contacts, and he'll also prob be able to sort some work experience out for you. Kingswood Training 09 - Home | Kingswood Training 09. i cannot recommend this place enough, just outside Tonbridge so quite close to you i think.

Cheers Dave

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat. sorry to put a dampner on things....but it really is unrealistic to think that after a year or 2 at college you are going to be able to command anymore than a labours wage still. at that point you'll be costing companies more in time than what you are worth..thats fact. you should be looking a couple of years on from this realistically before you reach what you might consider a non-labourers wage.

once you have got the tickets, i rang up the local tree surgeons from the yellow pages and looked on the internet to find any other local tree surgeons and managed to secure a trial day with a good tree surgeon and it went on from there !!

Hi Pat. sorry to put a dampner on things....but it really is unrealistic to think that after a year or 2 at college you are going to be able to command anymore than a labours wage still. at that point you'll be costing companies more in time than what you are worth..thats fact. you should be looking a couple of years on from this realistically before you reach what you might consider a non-labourers wage.

Steve makes a good point, and very true, takes some time before your "experienced" and can show your worth.

I reckon with your mechanical abilities though youll be a good asset, try big firms like gristwood and toms, big firms have a lot of plant that needs regular running repairs and servicing, play up your "extra" skills.

You havent said wether you want to be a ground worker or a climber?

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand that the pay wont be the highest to start with and its going to take time for me to make my self a name in the industry.

I would like to be a climber eventually but want to start as a ground worker.I might be going about things the wrong way with that one, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice im going to look at kingswood now,tonbridge isnt too far from me so that could be a good option.

Pat