merrist wood

Jools

Hi,

I have been cruising this forum for a while now and I must say that it is a fantastic resource, so thanks to all you guys for posting your thoughts.

I am another headstrong individual looking for a career change that has come over the idea of becoming an arborist. I have enrolled in the 10 tree surgery for craftsman course at Merrist Wood which will be commencing in about a months time. I live in Surrey and would like to get a heads up before the course begins and get a bit of hands-on experience with a company in my area. I am totally new to this, but I am sure I will love the hard, grueling and I am guessing sometimes arduous and exhausting work. If any of you kind fellows could point me in the right direction of someone near me that could use an inexperienced pair of hands for a few days I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Jools

Hi mate

I studied and worked at Merrist Wood as a freelance instructor, alot of the time on the 10 week course. It is quite intense, but if your into your trees and enjoy the hard work (and it is hard as anyone on here will testify) then you will really, really enjoy yourself on the course. When I worked there it was run by Jack Kenyon, who is a very respected name in the industry

I also worked with quite a few tree surgeons in the area, so have a few names, depending on where you are. I don't live in the area anymore but still keep a few contacts down there.

Am sure everyone on the forum will be happy to help if you have any problems on the practical/theory side of the course.

Good luck!

Gmann

Hi guys thanks for the responses.

I live in Sutton, so i guess south london/north surrey, but I am willing to travel ... even for early starts! At the moment I work on a freelance basis so my time is pretty flexible, so short notice is usually not a problem. Any contacts would be more than appreciated.

I have only heard great things about merrist wood and I am really excited about starting the course. So it is great to hear first hand that as long as I throw myself in and study/graft hard I should have loads of fun.

Many thanks

Jools

Hi Jools

Have sent you private message with a name and contact detail.

One final piece of advice mate - get yourself a good tree i.d book and get out there and start learning the different tree species, especially as it will be winter twig i.d when you start!!!

Some people find it easy others don't, either way, if you start learning them now it will make life alot easier. Plus you can impress your peers with your extensive knowledge!!!!!!!

In my opinion the best book still is 'Trees of Britain and Europe' by the late, great Alan Mitchell. Am sure it has been reprinted.

Learn I.d features, common and latin names and if you get chance, a few common tree decay fungi.

Don't want to overload you but if you take this advice, I promise you will not regret it!!

Good luck

Gmann

really good advice there! did my twts in winter and its tricky doing the tree id by bud and twig. collect lots of twigs from the trees round the grounds that are on the id list and get to know the feel and look of them, it helped me! its a great course and jack is a legend who you will learn a lot from. good luck