Pruning out a natural brace in a tree may be unwise....

Is that an incomplete sentence?

Should it continue:

....when specifically associated with an included union, and, perhaps, depending upon the target area and severity of the included union, felling might be an appropriate longer term solution rather than focussing upon the potential for exacerbating a pre existing potential hazard feature?

There's also the question of "fused" and "non-fussed", how much support would an un-fused crossing branch provide?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend went to a presentation by someone doing a PhD on this subject recently.

The way he explained it......

basically we should not be pruning out crossing branches in mature trees!

I am not disputing this theory but I need more data to make this my practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You run out of drink in your house or something?

Most. Boring. Saturday. Night. Thread. Ever!

🤔

Popped a rib, movement not much fun, can't get to the fridge without pain....

Note to self: fight on through!

In contrast, my reply to TCD's "making the news today" post had me in fits 😂 (and tears of pain!)

My friend went to a presentation by someone doing a PhD on this subject recently.

The way he explained it......

basically we should not be pruning out crossing branches in mature trees!

I am not disputing this theory but I need more data to make this my practice!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pruning-out-natural-brace-tree-may-unwise-duncan-slater?published=u

Is that an incomplete sentence?

Should it continue:

....when specifically associated with an included union, and, perhaps, depending upon the target area and severity of the included union, felling might be an appropriate longer term solution rather than focussing upon the potential for exacerbating a pre existing potential hazard feature?

There's also the question of "fused" and "non-fussed", how much support would an un-fused crossing branch provide?

I was thinking about this the last week whilst pruning a beech tree.

If I had taken out all of the rubbing branches it would have thinned the tree by nearly 50%.

So I left the larger two rubbing stems and pruned out the worst of the rest.

The customer had complained that the tree creaked a lot so hopefully this should help, or maybe I should have just oiled each crosser!

TBH I didn't think about the fact that the ones I did remove could be natural braces, but most were long branches rubbing further out.

If I do remove a branch that has been rubbing I try to remove some weight from the one that I leave.