Hi all,

I'm confusing myself with all the new NPTC course names, of course most are self explanatory but there are some almost duplicate entries that I wouldn't mind a training provider (or student!) making a little clearer if possible.

I'm about to undertake some some intensive Arb courses and want to prioritise what is the 'better' award, and what is just overkill for an entry level climber.

Firstly, what does this compare to in terms of CS? It's only a level 2 award and I thought this was covered by the level 3's aerial pruning, using a chainsaw in a harness and cutting using free fall techniques

> 002005 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Branch Removal and Crown Breakdown using a Chainsaw (QCF)

There are two rescue courses now, is the level 3 worth the extra time money (obviously more rescue training can never be a bad thing, but in terms of employability ;) )?

> 002013 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Tree Climbing and Rescue (QCF)

> 002106 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Aerial Tree Rescue Operations (QCF)

And lastly, what is this? Is it groundie rigging based or general site stuff?

> 002008 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Supporting Colleagues Undertaking Off Ground Tree Related Operations (QCF)

Thanks in advance!

Hi don't know the last one but if you are going to make a career out of climbing etc do the best tickets you can ie as I was looking and reading about chipper tickets the others day hear is as i understood it if I did a ticket for wheeled towable chipper the ticket would not cover me to use a tracked chipper as there is a little bit more to the tracked chipper, but if I did tracked chipper ticket it would cover wheeled chipper so read carefully about what tickets you are about to do and do the highest you can at the time it will be far cheaper in the long run,

You could look through the assessment schedules and see what the differences are?

All available here

The last one you mention is the old CS45 - it appears to be stuff you do as a groundie all day long - pass things up to the climber (1 saw, 1 rope); retrieve things from climber, set up a tag/pulling line (the grounds bits of it anyway), set up a bollard / capstan, clear the arisings, breakdown arisings for disposal (chipping etc) and raking up at the end. I reckon it should almost be an automatic achievement alongside the rigging course as you assist the other candidates so do all those bits.

Hi don't know the last one but if you are going to make a career out of climbing etc do the best tickets you can ie as I was looking and reading about chipper tickets the others day hear is as i understood it if I did a ticket for wheeled towable chipper the ticket would not cover me to use a tracked chipper as there is a little bit more to the tracked chipper, but if I did tracked chipper ticket it would cover wheeled chipper so read carefully about what tickets you are about to do and do the highest you can at the time it will be far cheaper in the long run,

Good point, I may look into some of the heavier machinery. My main concern at the moment is getting the most useful stuff for my time/money ratio, once I'm working I plan to keep attending courses to enhance my skillset to the more niche bits and bobs.

In terms of emergency, windblown, sever leaners etc.. what is the most useful/recognised course out there? Looking at the NPTC list I can find the following, ideally I would like to do 2 of these courses as part of my start-up, but which two?

> 002102 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Severing Uprooted or Windblown Trees using a Chainsaw (QCF)

> 002103 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Assisted Fell Operations (QCF)

> 002104 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Preparing and Agreeing Emergency Treework Operations (QCF)

> 002105 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Emergency Treework Operations (QCF)

> 002110 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Installation and Maintenance of Structural Tree Supports (QCF)

Am I right in assuming that 2104 (Preparing and Agreeing Emergency Treeworks) isn't as important right away as say 2102 (windblown) or 2105 (emergency operations)?

Thanks for the replies :D

The last one you mention is the old CS45 - it appears to be stuff you do as a groundie all day long - pass things up to the climber (1 saw, 1 rope); retrieve things from climber, set up a tag/pulling line (the grounds bits of it anyway), set up a bollard / capstan, clear the arisings, breakdown arisings for disposal (chipping etc) and raking up at the end. I reckon it should almost be an automatic achievement alongside the rigging course as you assist the other candidates so do all those bits.

Yeah, that confirms my suspicion that I'd learn all that stuff on 2109 (Level 3 Award in Aerial Tree Rigging) as the CS45 isn't a pre-requisite of it. Would anyone out here not employ someone with Aerial Rigging because they didn't have a Groundbased tick?

I just found this, basically answers all my questions :)

https://www.nptc.org.uk/assets/documents/aabd8accddcb4aae917158a3d7a3221d.pdf

In relation to 2005/CS37 (Level 2 Award in Branch Removal and Crown Breakdown using a Chainsaw), it's a course teaching how to sned and process fallen trees. I was under the impression that that was already covered on the 2004/CS31 (Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting); can anyone confirm this?

Sorry for the chain posts!

Edited by wiley

We have a stream of newly qualified climbers who all lack the one essential thing that we would require. That is a driving and towing licence! If you don't have them, spend some of your money getting them.

For us, you're not employable as a climber if you can't get the crew/chipper to site! :(

God I've read all the above now I am confused, I've been in touch with a training member based in holmfirth , To train as a arborist for work in the uk , this what I've been told.

Level 2 award in chainsaw maintenance,cross cutting,fell and process trees up to 380mm fee is £796.95 inc of Vat.

Level 2&3 awards in tree climbing & Aerial Rescue, Aerial cutting of trees with a chainsaw using free fall techniques £994.00 inc vat plus £120.00 for hire of PPE.

In addition wood chipping qualification ( which I haven't located a course yet) and finally F+ First aid course still trying to located nearest centre. So I just hope these will get me a job as I am risking my sanity and my marriage for this new career

We have a stream of newly qualified climbers who all lack the one essential thing that we would require. That is a driving and towing licence! If you don't have them, spend some of your money getting them.

For us, you're not employable as a climber if you can't get the crew/chipper to site! :(

Whilst I acknowledge this situation is common place. ie climber being vehicle driver and often team leader, I'm not convinced its the best option. Would I really want to be a passenger in the van driven by a knackered climber after a long hard day in the tree, for a long haul back to Base...dunno.

I wholly acknowledge , and agree with the B+E licence entitlement which is very valuable.

Sorry, spanner in the works happen.

Paul Sent from