Good literature/online reading.

Liam_Herbert

Hi guys, currently considering taking on the Lvl 4 within the near future. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any (affordable) books or recommend any reliable websites and online reports?

Just looking to brush up my knowledge from Lvl 3 - on a side note has anyone made the jump from Lvl 3 to 4? How different would you say it is??

Cheers.

How hard are you prepared to work and how much time are you prepared to devote to it? It's all do-able.

Join the Arb assoc to assess all the journals, lots of stuff on the ISA website too.

I'm a full time climber but looking to drop down to 4 days a week freeing up 3 days a week as I have no real major commitments.

Sweet thanks will do!

Sorry, I was typing on my phone (which I don't really like), so if I came across abruptly that wasn't my intention.

I've built a terrific library over the years, spending thousands of pounds and I know at least one on here who buys a lot more. (But he's getting married soon so that may stop:biggrin:)

I don't think if you've got some basic books - Shigo, Mattheck, Matheny etc that it's worth buying more until you actually know what subjects you specifically need and can't find what you need online. I've probably got 500+ websites saved in Favourites from coursework.

If you get a reading list, Abebooks and Bookfinder UK are really good for used books, but you do need to check that your buying the edition you think you are (as I've found out to my cost)

And most of all, ASK on here. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here, no-one will write your answers but everyone will give you a place to find what you're looking for. Don't forget to say thank you! :biggrin:

I think also someone has set a facebook group for one of the levels, not sure which one, to provide mutual assistance.

Try to keep up and don't get behind with the work, enjoy the learning experience cos it opens up whole new worlds and the realisation that climbing is only a part of the industry. (I did 30 years of that)

Good luck.:thumbup1:

Hi Liam.

Hope your well son.

I'm currently doing my Level 4 with Treelife and gone from a l3 to l4. If you want the honest truth...........it is sooooooo much work. More than I anticipated but I can't say if it's worth it yet as I'm still studying but what iv taken from the course has been invaluable. I would just recommend a course with a class session as I would be utterly lost without it. If you want info or ask any questions, private message me and I'll help as best as I can.

Jake

Jake Andrews

Hi Liam.

Hope your well son.

I'm currently doing my Level 4 with Treelife and gone from a l3 to l4. If you want the honest truth...........it is sooooooo much work. More than I anticipated but I can't say if it's worth it yet as I'm still studying but what iv taken from the course has been invaluable. I would just recommend a course with a class session as I would be utterly lost without it. If you want info or ask any questions, private message me and I'll help as best as I can.

Jake

Jake Andrews

2nd the classroom option, you'll learn loads from the (sometimes lively) discussions. I'm at Syston in the AM, joining the current L6 class because I got behind with my assignments (works and illness) so going back for a refresher.

I think Jake's understating the soooooo much work :biggrin: it's that and a bit more. :lol::lol:

Hi Liam.

Hope your well son.

Jake

Jake Andrews

Hey man cheers for getting in touch, good to hear from you again also good, what about your end??

Yeah everyone seems to be saying the same in regards to the work load.

I'm looking at doing the Merristwood course which is 1 day a week and would give me access to their library etc.

Cheers mate, best of luck with it.