Looking into jumping in

Lloydie

Hi guys, I'm completely new to arboriculture, but something that i find quite interesting and something I would like to do for a new career, even though I'm not the best with heights, I'm hoping it would be something I would get use to after knowing that I am safe (with the proper training)

Now I am currently 27, I consider myself a hard worker I like to get the job done the best I can. Now I am in a job that to be honest isn't great and would like something that could take me anywhere.

My plan at the moment is getting my tickets asap and getting a couple years work experience in then hopefully it can take my where I want to be, currently looking at New Zealand, my partner is in the health sector and have looked into it before.

Now I have been saving some money to do something like this, and have been looking into fast track courses, the 2 options I've been looking at are

Fast Track Tree Surgery Training, Tree Surgeon Courses, Arborist Courses, UK, Worldwide

and

Tree Surgery Business Start-up

I am leaning more towards Proclimber as it is closer, but as I will be staying there for the duration that doesn't really matter, Is the extra £3800 justified to get the extra tickets in one go? I know both get good Rep from here. I will be taking unpaid time off of my current job, so getting as many tickets at once would be good. The pass rate of Kingswood is also an attractive option

was just wondering which you guys would think is better for my situation as you guys are the pros and I'm just getting started, so it's always best to ask for advice before jumping into something that could hopefully change my life for the best.

Cheers

Edited by Lloydie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest start slower get your basic chainsaw tickets and work on the ground for a bit to see if you actually like the job before spending all that money on climbing tickets

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Yeah. Everyone seem to want to get tickets, but not the experience and if you're never done it before you will always have to start at the bottom.

Buy some climbing gear and learn how to use it, off to a local park and climb a few tree's...

You'll soon know if you've an aptitude for it after climbing a tree or two....

Terrible advice.

As has been said, get some experience on the deck and see if you like the job. It's often glamourised, and there are great times. A lot of merciless slogs too.

It's not for everyone, but those that like it love it (or in my case didn't try hard enough in school).

Cheers guys, I'll look into trying to get some experience with someone local, or a climbing course to see if I can at least handle the heights. I don't mind them so much, isn't usually only when its like an open cliff edge with no safety and people about that I get a bit iffy, I've done abseiling no problems and enjoyed it in the past.

I've seen a few threads about people recommending fast track, but they were a few years ago, just thought it would be a better way to land me a job, even if I did have to start from a groundsman and build myself up, at least I would have my tickets if I was needed to do the job, and would at least have some experience to get an edge of getting one.

I know this profession wont be a walk in the park and it honestly seems like something i would like to be doing, the kid in me still thinks it is an awesome job/skill to have and would be fun.

Also does anyone know of any reading material that would be of usefulness before I manage to get into anything?

Edited by Lloydie

Terrible advice.

As has been said, get some experience on the deck and see if you like the job. It's often glamourised, and there are great times. A lot of merciless slogs too.

It's not for everyone, but those that like it love it (or in my case didn't try hard enough in school).

No it isn't terrible advice, first off he said he wasn't sure if he could handle heights...

Well then, be pointless spending months dragging brash about, getting tickets for this that and the other only to find he's scarred witless fifteen ft off the ground...