Which HCC course?

Midge

Going to enroll in one of the HCC courses soon but unsure weather to go for the Diploma or the certificate course?

The reason I want to do it is just to learn more about arboriculture. Hopefully it will help me with work but it isn't a major concern for work, more for personal learning.

Ideally I'd do the full ABC/RFS course but I can't afford all the tickets to get the full qualification unfortunately so that's out of the equation.

So, Diploma covers the following subjects...

Lesson 1 – Tree Knowledge. Identification, a tree collection, tree age, street trees.

Lesson 2 – Nursery Practices. Tree and shrub tendering, nursery stock-pricing.

Lesson 3 – Tree establishment. Woodland design, urban soils, nutrition of trees and shrubs.

Lesson 4 – The Tree’s Environment. Ecology. Vegetation analysis, trees and pollution.

Lesson 5 – Design and Management of Woodlands. Contracts in arboriculture.

Lesson 6 – Plant Health. Plant pathology including a directory of pests and diseases.

Lesson 7 – Biology of Woody Plants. Plant science in arboriculture.

Lesson 8 – Legislation and Arboriculture. Health and Safety. Hazard identification.

Lesson 9 – Maintenance of Woody Plants. Arboriculture specifications.

Lesson 10 – Miscellaneous. Autumn colour in sequence. Arboriculture associations.

Certificate covers....

Lesson 1 – Amenity Woodland

Lesson 2 – Formation and Properties of Soil

Lesson 3 – Tree Nomenclature and Plant Selection

Lesson 4 – Ill Health of Trees

Lesson 5 – Plant Handling and Supply

Lesson 6 – Shrub and Tree Pruning

Lesson 7 – Tree Inspection and Surveys

Lesson 8 – Tree Felling and Disposal

Lesson 9 – Health, Safety and Legal Issues

Lesson 10 – Maintaining Equipment

Which do you think would be best for a general learner? I'm learning more towards the certificate over the Diploma.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever you go with and whichever course you choose, make sure the course leads to an actual qualification provided by a government approved awarding body (e.g. ABC, BTEC, LANTRA, etc.) and not just a certificate from the learning provider, otherwise it may not be recognised by an employer.

For example

- ABC Awards are an awarding body that accredit the ABC level 2, 4 and 6 certificate/diploma in arboriculture

- BTEC / City and Guilds are an awarding body that accredit the level 2 and 3 diploma in arboriculture

Training providers are allowed to write their own courses, but unless they are vetted by an awarding body then they are not vetted for quality by anyone external to the training provider.

If the courses are not accredited by an awarding body then they may not be recognised by employers, either nationally or internationally or by industry associations (important if you need a qualification for membership levels).

The AA have some good information

Careers and qualifications Arboricultural Association - A guide to careers and qualifications

and a

directory of training providers for technical qualifications.

Arboricultural Association - Directory of UK Arboricultural education and training providers

Enjoy it whatever you do.

Thanks for the reply Monkey face will certainly have a look at the links.

I think the two courses I mentioned in the OP are not recognised by anyone other then HCC, but it's just something I want to do for myself at the moment to learn more about arboriculture.

Hopefully in the future I will be able to do the full ABC/ RFS course and gain a widely recognised qualification!

Edited by Midge