Another professional tree inspection query......

Cedar84

Hello,

I work in forestry and qualified up to Masters level as well as having all my practical tickets etc..

I am interested in he PTI course but to use it in a professional context do I need a formal arb qualification? I understand there are differences between arb and forestry and all the British standards etc but I am not in a position financially or time wise to get into arb qualifications.

Any help or pointers would be great,

Thanks

Why are you interested in it? Where are you wanting your career to head? The pti is a good starting point (although it seems like you already have a good starting point) for carrying out hazard assessments, but no good if you want to be able to do other surveys or reports.

And you'd obviously need pi insurance if you are working in that line of work, even for several years after you stop the work...

Interested in it as I do some ecological surveys for development and my clients sometimes ask for tree surveys etc so would be good to offer the whole package rather than sub it out all the time. Also in my forestry role I sometimes have some higher risk sites- roadside trees, trees around buildings etc. Interested in fungi and general tree health as well. Got pi insurance for my current work.

You don't technically need any specific qualifications, I think the standard says something like a 'competent and experienced /qualified arboriculturist'. Come any appeals etc though, you really need to be able to robustly justify everything you have said. I think Treelife run a one or two day course on 5837 which might be more appropriate if you're wanting to do planning reports, maybe give them a ring - they are very helpful. Good luck with it all...

Hi there,

If Treelife can't facilitate your requirements we also do BS5837 courses (not sure how they differ TBH as never done theirs but knowing Treelife it will be good) see Arboricultural Association - Course Detail

As others have said the 'PTI' is increasingly becoming the benchmark for tree hazard surveys and hence is generally well-worth having under your belt see Arboricultural Association - Course Detail

Cheers, n good luck (n Treelife also offer PTI)

Paul

PS If neither of the above are convenient to you check out the training diary at Arboricultural Association - Training & Events and/or call Emma, or Tiff, at Head Office on 01242 522152 to perhaps "register an interest."

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info- what's your opinion on my current qualifications being relevant to bs5837 surveys ( once I have completed the PTI).

I work for forest research doing a lot of tree health surveys among a lot of other stuff, have an msc in forest ecosystems, in previous roles undertaken tree surveys on lower risk sites (did the basic tree survey course), associate member of chartered foresters and hoping to become full member next year. Got chainsaw tickets including large trees but no climbing.

Is that enough to be considered competent or would an arb qualification be better as my other experience is forestry related?