L6 independent research project...

sloth

Hi all, I'm getting slowly closer to needing to decide on my independent research project and am really struggling to settle on an idea, anyone have any suggestions?

I'd like to do something based around the accuracy / predictability of tree related subsidence, or how trenching alongside trees affects their vitality/structural safety, whether current practice adequately protects trees on development sites, or perhaps something entirely different?!

Thoughts please...

Hi all, I'm getting slowly closer to needing to decide on my independent research project and am really struggling to settle on an idea, anyone have any suggestions?

I'd like to do something based around the accuracy / predictability of tree related subsidence, or how trenching alongside trees affects their vitality/structural safety, whether current practice adequately protects trees on development sites, or perhaps something entirely different?!

Thoughts please...

Mate, I remember when I did mine, its just getting started and then it just kind of roles along. Its really interesting once you get moving. What is your preferred methodology and methods?

OK so just some ideas:

Subsidence - What about looking at Biddle's list of high, mod and low water demand trees to see if they are still relevant? I've toyed with this myself for a Masters Dissertation if I ever get round to doing it. Tree related subsidence is not particularly predictable so I would stay away from that but you could look at the correlation between tree species (and WD), soil type and MPI, and foundation depth and then compare this to NHBC.

Trenching - This would be difficult as service installation companies aren't supposed to be cutting roots so I doubt you will get them to admit to it.

BS5837 - What about something around the success of tree protection measures? Were they installed properly? Were they maintained and monitored? Did the trees survive? Did you LPA take enforcement action? Was this successful? How does the failure rate between protected trees and unprotected trees compare?

Cheers

Thoughts please...

Most research projects require data - collection, analysis and interpretation; I would focus on a topic in which you know you can get hold of a useful set of data, possibly adding to it by a defined and predictable methodology (i.e. don't bite off more than you can chew).

I would steer clear of subsidence unless you have a data set up your sleeve - there are just too many variables the main missing one being the building; subsidence is not just about trees!

Brian Crane's recent work on trenching beside trees answers a lot of questions; he might be willing to share his data set and you might be able to do some field work (SE England?) if he feels there is some missing aspect.

How about canopy cover, TPOs and tree officers? Is there any correlation between the three? If you have more tree officers do you get more TPOs? Do more tree officers lead to better outcomes i.e. greater canopy cover? I think it's an area you should be able to get reasonable data not by being comprehensive but by picking a few representative councils and comparing the results. With many councils now giving access to TPOs on line it should be easy to interrogate what is protected and what is not. You could also look at the number of appeals per Council and look for trends - data from PINs should be available.

Thoughts please...

Hi

Not really started my IRP yet, as stated needs to be something we there's plenty of research material plus the word count is capped at 7000 (I think) which isn't a lot