Free Online Tree Constraints Plan Tutorials

rck

Hi all,

After years of creating tree constraints plans for customers, I've decided to create a few videos to show how the basics are done in CAD.

So if you are interested in getting started creating tree constraints plans for BS5837 surveys for yourselves then head over to my free course here: ActionCAD's Create Tree Constraints Plans Course

I haven't used a professional to produce the videos so I am sure they can be improved and would welcome your comments.

Regards,

Rob.

Mindful my comments are from a very basic CAD user / knowledge level, I found it all went a bit too quick and some of the actions you fairly flew through left me a bit confused.

Background noise was distracting.

Vid 4 & 5 had fairly lengthy periods of mouse activity without voice over explanation.

Command line entries left me a bit confused.

You must have a great working knowledge of the system to get through tasks at that speed but I found it was all a bit too quick for me. If the intended audience is basic / very basic / new users, it might pay to dumb it down a bit!

Good idea to post it :thumbup1:

What sort of prices are the auto cad packages you are using and would you recommend a basic / entry level package??

Mindful my comments are from a very basic CAD user / knowledge level, I found it all went a bit too quick and some of the actions you fairly flew through left me a bit confused.

Background noise was distracting.

Vid 4 & 5 had fairly lengthy periods of mouse activity without voice over explanation.

Command line entries left me a bit confused.

You must have a great working knowledge of the system to get through tasks at that speed but I found it was all a bit too quick for me. If the intended audience is basic / very basic / new users, it might pay to dumb it down a bit!

Good idea to post it :thumbup1:

What sort of prices are the auto cad packages you are using and would you recommend a basic / entry level package??

Is there such a thing as basic/entry level CAD?:biggrin:

I watched the first two videos on my phone, soon realising that that was inadequate, but CAD is infuriatingly difficult if you don't have some grounding anyway.

I'm going to watch it again later, paused over the stop/start/reverse buttons, with notebook in hand.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Is there such a thing as basic/entry level CAD?:biggrin:

I watched the first two videos on my phone, soon realising that that was inadequate, but CAD is infuriatingly difficult if you don't have some grounding anyway.

I'm going to watch it again later, paused over the stop/start/reverse buttons, with notebook in hand.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Ha, ha! That's exactly what I did!! First 2 on 📱 then changed to 💻

@Kevinjohnsonmbe @Gary Prentice

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope to improve the quality of the recordings as I get better at it.

You do need some cad and Autocad knowledge to get the most from the videos. I know many arborists already do their own plans and I wanted to give them some different or quicker ways to do it.

I can't teach CAD here but sites like Lynda.com and Udemy are great to learn the basics.

I'm not really the right person to recommend a cheaper cad programme than AutoCAD because I have never used one. Our business is cad and AutoCAD is our pro tool. I am very mindful though that cad in not your core business so it may not make business sense to keep an AutoCAD licence.

If there are any parts of the process in the video you don't quite follow then just mention it and I'll explain in more detail no problem. I hope people do ask me questions I'm quite willing to share.

So come on, all trade secrets are up for grabs.

I plan to explain how automation works in other videos. There is a web service that will actually create your trees from your data and send back a dxf file which you can use as the basis of a TCP.

RCK,

I very much appreciated your videos - many thanks for sharing them as I now have a couple of new techniques.

I was not so put off by the speed of your video, background noise and silent parts as Kevin mentioned, but perhaps that was because I am a little more familiar with CAD and although I was just watching the vids, I was able to follow/understand your instructions with ease. I think your point about not teaching the basics is correct ie this video may be basics +1, but with pausing the video, I don't think many people will go wrong.

As an additional resource for people, I taught myself most of my CAD basics from AutoCAD Tutorials, Articles & Forums | CADTutor lots of good examples to follow (although not TCPs etc. as RCKs exellent vids!)

There are ways you can get AutoCAD for free - particularly if you are on a HE course as you can get a free student trial version that is a full working version for a set period ie the length of your course. Obviously this comes with the conditions "it can only be used for educational purposes in accordance with the terms set forth in the applicable software license agreement or terms of service" - but of course, just learn/evaluate it and decide if you want your own copy later. Available here after registering.

Many thanks for all this RCK - I will be tapping you up for some more insider knowledge soon!