What CS39 and CS41 allow you to do?

Victor

Hello. I was wondering what is your opinion on something...

I had a little discussion at work today about what a person is allow to do on CS 39 Use of a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness & CS 41 Dismantling and Rigging.

In your opinion, would someone be qualified and competent to climb and 'dismantle' (cut branches in the crown back to the stem until there is only the stem to be felled from the ground, without the use of any rigging or lowering ropes or lowering equipment) a tree using a top handle saw climbing equipment, PPE and work positioning?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a lot of variables too answer your question but id say qualifications doesnt necessarily determin your skill set.For example i know some climbers who do not have cs41 dismantle and rigging but are great at dismantles because they have the practical experience and knowledge of doing dismantles.

On the other hand if you mean for insurance purposes then yes id agree unless someone has the qualifications then technically they shouldnt be doing dismantles.

On the cs39 chainsaw from rope and harness we were shown how to set up some light rigging and use slings for hand held sections so again it comes down to how you would interpret dismantling as surely step cutting laterals and choggin down a stem would meet the term dismantling but its what most guys would do even if they only had cs39.

Personally if someones a good climber with the practical experience and confidence to take on a dismantle then id say let em do it.

Thanks for the replies.

I just would like to know what cs39 allows you to do as a qualified person. Could you be felling a tree cutting branches from up the crown without using any rigging? I mean playing by the book and not breaking any rules.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies.

I just would like to know what cs39 allows you to do as a qualified person. Could you be felling a tree cutting branches from up the crown without using any rigging? I mean playing by the book and not breaking any rules.

Cheers.

Yes,at cs39 you are qualified to cut and drop sections-known as cut and chuck.You are also qualified to cut and free fall sections.

Edited by stihlmadasever

I was actually having a look at cs 39's assessment schedule and it says:

11. Remove limbs using a chainsaw. Limbs and limb sections should be removed taking the following points

into account:

- Appropriate working position attained.

- Characteristics and properties of the wood allowed for.

- Manageable sections selected.

- Climber holding the saw using both the front and top/rear handles

of the saw.

- Side or reducing cuts used where appropriate.

- Appropriate hinge left on sink cut sections.

- Position of cuts on step cut sections and a complete overlap of

cuts achieved.

- Chain brake applied or saw switched off whilst breaking and

casting sections.

- Hand held sections are cast into a predetermined area.

- The branch collar and/or branch bark ridge is identified when

pruning.

- The pruning cut is left as smooth as possible.

Allow? Strange question. I was doing complicated dismantles with and without rigging a long time prior to having any climbing tickets.

The NPTC qualification just confirms, to anyone who might be interested, that the holder has demonstrated that they are competent in carrying out certain tasks in a safe manner. Its is not a permission to carry out such work.

I am undoubtedly going to get hammered, but having had this convo recently, by rights, in that I mean under something going badly wrong and under investigation, unless you have rescue climb ticket as well as 41, you can not run rigging on the ground. To be a fully qualified groundsman on a dismantle rigging job, both clumber and groundie must have cs 41. Proof is printed on the cs 41 nptc certificate.