cs 32 - integrated assessment??

Dean O

hi guys is cs 32 now an integrated assessment course?

I've been offered two courses one provided has supplied a cost with an assessment date and cost attached another has called it medium trees IA (integrated assessment)?

confused

thanks

Dean

hi guys is cs 32 now an integrated assessment course?

I've been offered two courses one provided has supplied a cost with an assessment date and cost attached another has called it medium trees IA (integrated assessment)?

confused

thanks

Dean

Felling trees over 380mm is one of the units that can be done as either independent or integrated assessment.

Up to you which one you do both mean the same.

Whether you go down the Lantra or the NPTC route, there is independent assessment.

Felling to 380mm shouldn't be available as an ITA.

The confusion sits with the definition of 'independent assessment'. The requirement here is that the assessment is separated from the training, NOT that the assessor is separate from the trainer. So dig a little deeper and make sure that the 'ticket' you will end up with is the regulated qual.

Thanks Guys

the training provider got back to me on the weekend - which I want expecting.

Stuart - please clarify - CS32 (in old money) is felling over 380mm. (you mention felling to 380mm)

someone else has also told me 32 can be taken with an integrated assessment.

the employee being sent on this course is booked for windblown later in the year - this course is down as independent assessment.

get it into your brains, there is NO MORE NPTC AWARDS, the new qualifications are CITY AND GUILDS, none of the old numbers still apply, and most of the level 2 and some of the level 3 awards have both an independant assessor oran integrated assessor option, the last digit in the award code signifies this, it makes absolutly no difference to the award.......just get it of your heads for calling things NPTC CS NO.s....they dont exsist any more

Yes, sorry, over 380mm is right... I think the brain was overheating.

And there was definitively a trick missed when the quals all changed as it is much easier to say "CS 30/31" rather than the "level 2 Award in Chainsaw maintenance, crosscutting and felling upto 380mm". The CS units may have gone... but I fear that it will be a long time before they are forgotten given the alternative snappy titles

Thanks Guys

the training provider got back to me on the weekend - which I want expecting.

Stuart - please clarify - CS32 (in old money) is felling over 380mm. (you mention felling to 380mm)

someone else has also told me 32 can be taken with an integrated assessment.

the employee being sent on this course is booked for windblown later in the year - this course is down as independent assessment.

Hi Dean

These are the two courses run by City & Guilds NPTC, on successful achievement of both these courses the cadidate will receive a certificate and skills ID card.

Code No - 002101 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Felling and Processing Trees Over 380mm - Integrated Assessment (Instructor Formally Assesses the candidate)

Code No - 002111 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Felling and Processing Trees Over 380mm - Independently Assessed (An outside Assessor is required for formal assessment).

I hope that helps, any further queries about competency training/Assessing please let me know, always happy to help.

Arb Trainer (Gareth)

thanks for your help guys.

Yes as the new courses at least roughly reflect the old I think the CS tags will live on, they aid the description and help to compare in the same way feet and inches can still be useful.

I wonder why they decided to run both courses - surely given the choice most candidates would choose integrated assessment over 'independent'?

Some of us still think in feet and inches, but draw the link at chains, links, rods etc.

The offer of both ITA and independent assessment routes comes from the great debate when the new quals were introduced in 2011-12. Some folk were convinced that independent assessment was the only acceptable route and said that the forestry and arb industries would never accept anything else... so a belt and braces approach was adopted to offer both. Thing is that the skills cards and certificates are the same in both cases.

That being the case, as you rightly say, most will compare the cost, think about the potential delays in having to bring in a separate assessor, then opt for the integrated assessment.

The key is for the awarding bodies (Lantra and C&G) to do their quality assurance; and if the quality assurance processes are not followed, it doesn't matter whether you have integrated assessment or 'independent'.