Isa further education

Capstankid!

Hi,

I have been climbing for 6 years and have a bit of knowledge with tree work.

I have most tickets from Cs30-42 and UA tickets up to 3 and a SVQ2 in Arboriculture.

My question is I have heard of folk doing further education with the ISA but is it a recognised certificate in the UK and which course would you say to do.

Cheers

Joe

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe,

In general, I would highly recommend the ISA Certified Arborist qualification as an excellent course of study to supplement your practical skills quals. However, you say you have a SVQ level 2 in arb so it may not be as valuable / useful to you as it is for others.

Dependent upon the existing level of knowledge you have might it be better to try for a level 3/4 course? That said, whilst the ISA CA is categorised as level2 on the UK quals framework the level of learning associated is probably at level 3.

Hope this helps, at least a little..

Paul

Hi Joe,

In general, I would highly recommend the ISA Certified Arborist qualification as an excellent course of study to supplement your practical skills quals. However, you say you have a SVQ level 2 in arb so it may not be as valuable / useful to you as it is for others.

Dependent upon the existing level of knowledge you have might it be better to try for a level 3/4 course? That said, whilst the ISA CA is categorised as level2 on the UK quals framework the level of learning associated is probably at level 3.

Hope this helps, at least a little..

Paul

Paul, When the AA and ISA merge will you be suggesting that the Cert arb gets a level 3 status or is that above the AA's remit?

Ive always felt the ISA cert arb is higher than a two with the CEUs you have to acquire over the 3 years. My thoughts being you pass another equivalent level 2 and you never need to open a book again, seems a bit daft.

I was also going to ask if you were feeling ok Paul as thats the only post I've seen of yours where you never suggested becoming an AAAC.. :biggrin:

Paul, When the AA and ISA merge will you be suggesting that the Cert arb gets a level 3 status or is that above the AA's remit?

Ive always felt the ISA cert arb is higher than a two with the CEUs you have to acquire over the 3 years. My thoughts being you pass another equivalent level 2 and you never need to open a book again, seems a bit daft.

I was also going to ask if you were feeling ok Paul as thats the only post I've seen of yours where you never suggested becoming an AAAC.. :biggrin:

Hi Robert, good to hear, I hope you're well.

Firstly, to clarify if I may, and yes a technicality, but an important one I/we (the AA, and the ISA TBH) feel, the arrangement with the ISA is not a merger as both organisations want to remain autonomous (great word eh!) The AA is becoming an ISA 'Associate Organisation' of the ISA and will administer it's membership activities here in the UK.

With regards to re-categorising the qualification to level 3, as currently level 2, I'm not sure what's involved BUT Simon (Richmond), the Senior Teccie at the AA, probably does so I will speak with him. If this did happen, same as with the old AA Tech Cert (pre-ABC Awards) any existing quals would remain as level 2 probably...but it would still be a positive move.

Reet, onto ArbAC...:biggrin:

Cheers fer now..

Paul

PS Didn't think I was that bad for banging the ArbAC 'drum'...but if I am its coz I believe in it AND I believe its good for the industry :thumbup1:

Hi Paul, when do you think the AA will run the UK side of the ISA training side of things, i would be interested in sitting the ISA exam after a bit of study, thanks and kind regards john.

Hi John , not sure of timescales for the certified arborist course yet as still in the process of rubber stamping tge formal arrangements for the Associated Organisation. Hopefully later this year.

Keep watching here for any updatss, which I'll definitely post.

Cheers,

Paul