Cs30/31/38

Dodge

Hi Guys,

Im just after some advice in trying to clarify the situation regarding chainsaw qualifications

My position is I have been using chainsaws and felling trees in a farm/private capacity for around 30 years and up to-date no accidents or incidents but doing it my way (that would make a good song title :biggrin: ) which I agree is not the best method.

Now my daughter's boy friend is in the process of starting his own business up as a gardener, he already works in this field professionally and is going to be branching out on his own.

I have decided that as he wants to include tree work as part of his services I will pay for him to get his certs and I will tag along as well

So am I right in thinking that Lantra is the qualifying body that over arches these certificates i.e. if it is a CS30/31 Lantra course it is an official and accepted qualification

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have assumed things before and got caught out :blushing:

Cheers

Rog

NPTC is the recognised body,lantra do run courses but usually have NPTC trainers and assesors.

NPTC would be my recomendation for training/qualifications as its also recognised abroad.

Bet you could tell a tale or two if you've been felling for 30 years eh rog

Hi mate,

Thanks for that:thumbup1: I was sort of heading in the right direction :001_smile:

and ya I have had my fair share of moments but im still here.

I need to get the lad on the correct path now though, its all changed now days ( violin playing in the back ground )

thanks for the reply

Rog

I have decided that as he wants to include tree work as part of his services I will pay for him to get his certs and I will tag along as well

What a great father-in-law(ish)! Considering your history, it would've been all to easy to say "bah! I didn't need training, so you don't either!"

My girlfriends dad payed for our bathroom, but I would've preferred the chainsaw certs to be honest :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dodge,

Lantra and NPTC are the main two awarding bodies. At Lynher Training we recommend the 'Lantra Chainsaw Maintenance, Cross-cutting and Felling to 200mm' to gardeners as generally they only cut down small (up to 200mm at felling height) trees or thin out hedges etc. This course is generally cheaper but only lasts for 5 years.

If you were looking to fell larger trees or progress into tree climbing then we would recommend NPTC which is the main awarding body recognised by leading forestry businesses. This course involves a training course followed by an assessment - its a bit like a driving test; trained by one person and then tested by another - therefore is more expensive. The certificate lasts a lifetime but you do need to do refresher training every 3-5 years.

All depends on the future ambitions of all involved. Starting out he could do a Lantra course and then do an upgrade to NPTC at a later date if required.

Hope that helps.