Friction Hitches & Devices for SRTWP

R Mac

I'm interested in trying SRTWP but having difficulty getting my head around what gear I actually need.

From what I've been reading I can use a friction hitch and hitch climber pulley but also need a secondary friction device to share some of the load on the friction hitch, I also need a foot ascender and foot loop.

What else would I need for SRTWP? or what would be a good set-up?

If I wanted to use SRT for access before switching back to DdRT do I need different equipment than I would if I stayed on SRT for work positioning?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I'm aware if you want to stay on a hitch with ce Approval the only option is a rope wrench and I would go mk 2.... Then all you need is a foot ascender and if you want to make life easy a secondary ascender, the easiest and most efficient would be a haas from my experience.... Then some kind of sling harness or neck tether to advance your hitch and wrench whilst ascending you can make or buy these easily but tree kit have some good stuff on there site and even introduction to SRT vids on there that are definitely worth a view to give you ideas.

Edited by MattyF

Thanks Matty, If I've understood you correctly and using a foot ascender and HAAS the HAAS and foot ascender foot loop both attach to the central tie in point on my harness, the neck lanyard attaches to the friction hitch pulley and I simply step up on the climbing rope while going hand over hand on the rope above the rope wrench?

If I use a hand ascender (would the same type of ascender that is used for a HAAS do or do I need a handled ascender?) it needs a long foot loop for my left foot (assuming the foot ascender is strapped to my right) and sits above the rope wrench, the hitch is still advanced using a neck lanyard.

In both cases do I need to push the rope wrench upwards or does the friction hitch push it up via the 'stuff tether'?

Finally, once I'm in a work position or ready to descend I would remove both foot ascender and HAAS/hand ascender and unclip the neck lanyard, do I then need to use 2 hands to operate the rope wrench and friction hitch or is the friction hitch operated via the 'stiff tether' on the rope wrench?

Thanks Matty, If I've understood you correctly and using a foot ascender and HAAS the HAAS and foot ascender foot loop both attach to the central tie in point on my harness, the neck lanyard attaches to the friction hitch pulley and I simply step up on the climbing rope while going hand over hand on the rope above the rope wrench?

If I use a hand ascender (would the same type of ascender that is used for a HAAS do or do I need a handled ascender?) it needs a long foot loop for my left foot (assuming the foot ascender is strapped to my right) and sits above the rope wrench, the hitch is still advanced using a neck lanyard.

In both cases do I need to push the rope wrench upwards or does the friction hitch push it up via the 'stuff tether'?

Finally, once I'm in a work position or ready to descend I would remove both foot ascender and HAAS/hand ascender and unclip the neck lanyard, do I then need to use 2 hands to operate the rope wrench and friction hitch or is the friction hitch operated via the 'stiff tether' on the rope wrench?

They are both attached to the main line, the Haas or knee ascender elastic is clipped to the hitch climber as the neck or chest harness on the top hole which will advance your hitch via the stiff tether on the rope wrench, this is why I like a hitch climber over a traditional pulley as its 3 holes all can be utilised to get the best out of the system.

You can use a hand ascender with tape instead of a knee ascender it is quite a bit more effort though and I did find a double hand ascender more ergonomic on very long hauls.

You should be able to just climb as you normally would with a hitch as the wrench is designed to do this but yes ideally you want to unclip the neck or chest harness for descents.

Adam Bourne posted some good working vids of SRT showing the use of alpine butterfly and pulley for retrievable redirects.

I found SRT some thing that took me a while to get used to and I definitely dismissed it for any thing other than long ascents at the beginning of using it but I would not use any thing else for work climbing now.

This is my basic every day system , I've tried a lot but this I found the best for me. ImageUploadedByArbtalk1454517498.278024.jpg.ec4ad1c53c5074b94a115675465258c7.jpg

Wrench and hitch climber

HAAS

CT foot ascender

Neck tether

Pinto and krab for anchor points

On the spikes I have a modded kiwi climbers ascender and loop for ascender attachment on opposite spike neither are really an essential though.

I do have a load of slings and revolver krabs for redirects but for nearly all my climbing I've found natural redirects work just fine.

Hi Matty, I appreciate your help, I think I'm getting my head round it and watched the TreeKit videos which helped too.

The foot ascender then is simply attached to my foot and clipped to the main line, the neck tether attaches to the hitch climber, without adding anything else I could simply stand up on the foot ascender, the neck tether would advance the friction hitch and rope wrench, I could then sit back in my harness and repeat?

By adding the HAAS/or hand ascender on the side opposite the foot ascender I can step up right/left alternatively without sitting back in my harness and again the neck tether will advance the friction hitch/rope wrench?

If I've got that right then I'll need to buy the following,

Rope Wrench

Foot Ascender (CT?)

Basic Ascender (CT?)

In addition I'll need,

Webbing to make a foot loop for the basic ascender

Shock cord and small carabiner/dog clip to attach the basic ascender to my Hitch Climber pulley

Webbing sling/shock cord/mini carabiner to make a neck lanyard to attach to the hitch climber.

A DMM Revolver and short prussik loop to use when coming back from a limb walk.

It's not really a case of sitting back and repeating more of walking up and sitting back for a rest and admiring the view when you have done 30-40 ft in under a minute with out breaking a sweat!

You could go the route your talking about personally I would just buy a haas off honey brothers or one of the knee ascenders off tree kit , I've made my own and it does work well but tbh for the hassle of testing it until you find something that does work efficiently your better off getting a bit of kit out the box for the job.

Cheers, looked at the Treekit knee ascender and to be honest it's doubtful I could buy the individual parts any cheaper so I'll probably go for that option, the HAAS set-ups on the other hand, well a bit too pricey for me.

I'll start by getting a CT foot ascender and Rope Wrench c/w Stiff Tether, I should be able to ascend 'Sit/Stand' on that alone shouldn't I?

Thanks Again :thumbup1:

Oh and don't descend with the ascenders still attached !

I'm still learning, but it took me a couple of times descending and ending up with my heels up my arse before I started remembering!

Cheers, looked at the Treekit knee ascender and to be honest it's doubtful I could buy the individual parts any cheaper so I'll probably go for that option, the HAAS set-ups on the other hand, well a bit too pricey for me.

I'll start by getting a CT foot ascender and Rope Wrench c/w Stiff Tether, I should be able to ascend 'Sit/Stand' on that alone shouldn't I?

Thanks Again :thumbup1:

Start out with a pantin and the wrench, don't bother with a hand ascender.

I can only echo Matty, I spent many hours at home splicing and at work trying to get my homemade haas to perform well. Spent a bit on the components too (though most were kindly donated).

It's okay now, but I'll still buy one cos it'll be better. They've just bought out a posh new one too.

Bear in mind that ascending SRT relies completely on ascenders. They're not just an aid, but a necessity. But the right one.