Log boiler with an automatic feed - know of any?

ccharlie

Yes, you read that correctly. Does anyone know of a boiler that can be fed whole logs (not sure what size) and for the feed to be automatic? I can picture some of the design difficulties of such a contraption but surely someone must have come up with something...

My research has led me to only one such system: Timber 25 Auto-Feed Wood Boiler (Timber Auto-Feed Wood Boiler - Lopper North America).

But, as their website states, this system can only handle a few days' worth of wood. I'd like to have a huge storage container and a month's worth of wood at least that could be worked through.

The spiel says: "The Lopper Timber 25 Auto-Feed Wood Boiler represents the utmost best of German Engineering. With a modulating output range of 20-32kW (68,000 to 109,000 BTU), the Timber 25 offers all the benefits and convenience of a residential pellet boiler while allowing YOU to be in control of the cost and quality of your fuel, while not giving up convenience. Any concerns of future pellet price increases will not be yours to worry about.

Key Features At A Glance:

-30 cubic foot wood loading compartment conveniently holds 1/2 face-cord (650L) of wood which equates to

several days between refills.

-Lambda controlled high-efficiency combustion with remote cyclonic secondary chamber.

-Integral return water tempering system with 3-way, motor-driven, mixing valve to prevent thermal-shock and

condensing.

-Industrial-grade induced draft exhaust blower with switching control program for start-up, and reload phases

of operation.

-Embossed aluminum jacket."

Edited by ccharlie

Yes, you read that correctly. Does anyone know of a boiler that can be fed whole logs (not sure what size) and for the feed to be automatic? I can picture some of the design difficulties of such a contraption but surely someone must have come up with something...

My research has led me to only one such system: Timber 25 Auto-Feed Wood Boiler (Timber Auto-Feed Wood Boiler - Lopper North America).

But, as their website states, this system can only handle a few days' worth of wood. I'd like to have a huge storage container and a month's worth of wood at least that could be worked through.

Hi mate I no of all right it my DAD 👍👍👍when out thanks I no boilers local to us that's 2 x50KW BOILERS There a night mere keep going as there under power for the 2 large houses thanks Jon

Hi mate forgot to put they have chap that comes into boiler room all time and fill the boiler up with ash)beach logs I'm told it night mere keep it running thanks Jon

I would not pay for this inherently likely to fail "system" all it takes is for a billet to fall sideways as it enters the fuel chamber, and essentially "game over", from 50 years of observation of such phenomena.

Wood chip or pellets or simply accept that one has to manually stoke the boiler.

marcus

I've seen a log feed by a conveyor system. It was feeding recycled wood, sawdust and logs. Much larger boiler than you have in mind though. Uniconfort at certainly wood if I remember correctly. Biggest problem would be cost and complexity. Conveyor systems and walking floors are probably the most reliable of the feed systems used on the bigger boilers but you wouldn't like the cost.

I've seen a log feed by a conveyor system. It was feeding recycled wood, sawdust and logs. Much larger boiler than you have in mind though. Uniconfort at certainly wood if I remember correctly. Biggest problem would be cost and complexity. Conveyor systems and walking floors are probably the most reliable of the feed systems used on the bigger boilers but you wouldn't like the cost.

That sounds like just the sort of system that I was picturing and, yes, it sounds far too large for a domestic installation!