Feeling short changed!!

rovers90

This time last year I bought in 150 tons of hardwood from a well known national company. A few weeks later I realised the stacks just didn't look right compared to the other stock I already had (and I don't just mean the way the lorry driver had stacked it - how it has managed to stay up all this time I don't know!).

So out came the tape measure - the new stock averaged 2.5m in length whereas everything I have bought over last 6 years has been 3m. When I queried this with the company they said they cut it short so they could get two bays on their forwarder. I was not too happy with this especially as it was some of the most expensive per ton I have bought.

All year I have been thinking is 150 ton of 2.5m stems the same as 150 ton of 3m stems??

Now I am cutting it I would say no. First off I don't sell by weight. Secondly, it takes 9 cuts to get 10 logs out of a 2.5m length and 11 to get 12 out of a 3m. So every 2.5m I cut I am down 2 lengths that could be halved, quartered etc so volume wise I am going to end up with a fair bit less than I envisaged which obviously makes it even more expensive.

I cannot remember when I ordered it whether length of timber was mentioned. Buyer beware!!

That's what I was thinking. Appreciate you'll get fewer (same sized) cuts out of a 2.5m length but surely at the end you'll have an equivalent number of 2.5m lengths left over that will make up the bits you'd have had on the ends of 3m lengths (if you see what I mean)

Basically you'll have more 2.5m lengths than you would have had 3m lengths (given same diameter etc)???

The weight is the same but processing time it will be quite a bit different and this is going to be the largest cost.

Obviously dependent on your set up but a 3 metre length is going to yield more cut logs per hour than 2.5 metre lengths. Ultinately the longer the length (straight helps!) The more effixient you will be. Less loading time and more cutting/splitting.

All you can do now is not make the same mistake again. Be specific. Ask for 3 metre lengths. Reject anything less than 2.7m.

The weight is the same but processing time it will be quite a bit different and this is going to be the largest cost.

Obviously dependent on your set up but a 3 metre length is going to yield more cut logs per hour than 2.5 metre lengths. Ultinately the longer the length (straight helps!) The more effixient you will be. Less loading time and more cutting/splitting.

All you can do now is not make the same mistake again. Be specific. Ask for 3 metre lengths. Reject anything less than 2.7m.

Understand that but the OP definitely says he'll end up with less volume making it more expensive, which by my logic doesn't add up

Always confusing between weights and volumes. From what I am reading you have purchased 150 ton worth of hardwood. You usually got it as 3m lengths but the last load was 2.5m. Well theoretically it should work out like this. if 150 ton was 150m length of timber at 30cm dia (I know its not but imagine all the timber end to end). Then overall the length could be cut up into either 50 3m lengths or 60 2.5m lengths. When stacked it would still equal the same volume, i.e. the 3m stack would be longer and the 2.5m stack would be higher.

The variation in the all would be the weight. As the sale was by weight i.e. slow growing Oak will be heavier than quick growing Oak, Harwood will be heavier than Softwood (growth rates, cell structure). The old school question may be easier what is heavier, a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

I think here it would be useful to look at what you had before as a weight and look at what you have now. Are the logs heavier once cut?

If you are buying in weight for logs then look at the lower graded material, slightly cheaper for the weight which means you will get a few more logs. Or sell at a higher price as the logs are more dense and will last longer.

What does the weight of the sawdust from the extra cuts add up to? That is the wood you are being robbed of.

He will gain that sawdust.

Consider 75 metres of timber gives 300 logs @250mm long

In 3metre x 25 lengths needs 275 cuts

In 2.5 metre x 30 lengths needs 270 cuts

He will save those 5 cuts for the same number of logs so no cause to feel short changed

Be specific. Ask for 3 metre lengths. Reject anything less than 2.7m.

Chip has traditionally been cut at 2.1 / 2.2 / 2.3; two bays of 2.5 on a forwarder goes some way to helping most forwarder drivers who can't fit 2 bays of 3's on.

Ask for 12' chip if you're that way inclined but rejecting certain lengths isn't going to do you any favours. The timber harvesting business doesn't revolve around firewood / chip.

This time last year I bought in 150 tons of hardwood from a well known national company. A few weeks later I realised the stacks just didn't look right compared to the other stock I already had (and I don't just mean the way the lorry driver had stacked it - how it has managed to stay up all this time I don't know!).

So out came the tape measure - the new stock averaged 2.5m in length whereas everything I have bought over last 6 years has been 3m. When I queried this with the company they said they cut it short so they could get two bays on their forwarder. I was not too happy with this especially as it was some of the most expensive per ton I have bought.

All year I have been thinking is 150 ton of 2.5m stems the same as 150 ton of 3m stems??

Now I am cutting it I would say no. First off I don't sell by weight. Secondly, it takes 9 cuts to get 10 logs out of a 2.5m length and 11 to get 12 out of a 3m. So every 2.5m I cut I am down 2 lengths that could be halved, quartered etc so volume wise I am going to end up with a fair bit less than I envisaged which obviously makes it even more expensive.

I cannot remember when I ordered it whether length of timber was mentioned. Buyer beware!!

150 tons is 150 tons does not matter if it is 1 foot long or 20 foot long you get the same amount of wood ie more pieces of short stuff or fewer of long stuff .Did you check the weight tickets when it was delivered.You are sure you bought it by weight not stack measure.

Cheers Chris.