Bandsaw blade sharpener.

Kev P

Could anybody recommend a blade sharpener that will deal with 5.8m long by 11/4 " wide blade 1.1 t.p.i .Mine has had enough.I have been using a 6" bench grinder of recent times with good results.We mainly cut firewood and make hedging stakes with them.12" diameter timber at most.

Thank you for your advice,looked at the website the sharpener they have is the one I already have.I see they have made several improvements,a better bit of kit I think.We buy our blades from Sawmatic of Telford they sell for one Lennox blades and they reweld ours if they are still in reasonable health,should they break.A good firm to deal with.How is your bandmill going,hope you enjoy using it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in getting one too. Woodmizer tell me the cheaper ones are no good for woodmizer blades, but I'd be interested to try one. If you end up getting one, and it can be used on Woodmizer blades I'd be interested to see the results. I'd be happy to pay for the service if I could drop some blades over. I know kennedy grinding in craven arms offer the service, but another mill owner I know was never happy with the results.

of course there no use on woodmizer blades, you've got to buy the "specially made" woodmizer one....pfaaaf.. depending on the tooth profile, the cam can be made to grind any blade, the only limiting factors are band width, and tpi, and the grinder sold by woodland isnt exactlly a "cheap one, but a quality product from a reputable manufacturer (a producer of several high end grinding machines). the most common problem with bands is that the micro fractures that occur are not properly ground out every time, this is more due to the rush of the operator in setting up, than in the design of the grinder

From my memory no it won't,I've sharpened a 2 tpi blade on the bench grinder no problem,have used a blade today a lot cutting firewood.3 tpi maybe a dremel and watch one of the blade sharpening videos on you tube.

Cheers - yes I sharpen them with a small grinder at the moment but 96" bands at 3tpi gets rather tedious so something with an auto-feed would be a big improvement - particularly as the mill is currently in a sulking phase and periodically throws a band forward, meaning I can end up doing three or four in a day!

Alec