Using subbies

jamesd

My workload seems to be getting bigger and bigger at the moment and I am thinking about using sub contractors to help maintain some of my commercial sites. This would involve regular cutting and strimming of grass, trimming hedges, picking up litter, weed control and collecting fallen leaves in the winter.

Basically what you would normally do as a grounds maintenance firm.

What would be the going rate i should expect to pay for say a two man team for a day or one man for a day? They obviously must have all their own equipment, necessary insurance and a means to dispose of the arising from site.

Also is this a worthwhile route to go down? do any of you use subcontractors or just use employees? I don't want to employ any more staff at the moment to be honest.

Any help/advice would be great!

I think it depends whether you are long term busy or short term busy. If you are only looking short term the subby turns up with his own wheels and tools, gets the job done and leaves. You pay for the privelage but dont have the headaches or costs of employment,tooling or transport. Long term though its going to be cheaper to take on your own staff but with it comes the rest of the grief. To test the water I would go with subbys and see how long it takes to go from busy to scratching about.:laugh1:

Bob

I think it depends whether you are long term busy or short term busy. If you are only looking short term the subby turns up with his own wheels and tools, gets the job done and leaves. You pay for the privelage but dont have the headaches or costs of employment,tooling or transport. Long term though its going to be cheaper to take on your own staff but with it comes the rest of the grief. To test the water I would go with subbys and see how long it takes to go from busy to scratching about.:laugh1:

Bob

I think for now i'd like to use subbies atm, this would hopefully mean no need to invest in further equipment and finding reliable staff.

I think for now i'd like to use subbies atm, this would hopefully mean no need to invest in further equipment and finding reliable staff.

Still need to find reliable subbies - if you're using other people whether as employees or subcontractors you still need to do the quality assurance and quality control - don't assume that using subbies will reduce that part of the work

Still need to find reliable subbies - if you're using other people whether as employees or subcontractors you still need to do the quality assurance and quality control - don't assume that using subbies will reduce that part of the work

No I Realise that, using subcontractors will be quite similar to an employee

When I first started out with a firm we took on subbies. If gave the boss the flexibility to take on more work without the worry of what will to do if the work suddenly dries up. He kept a close eye on what we all did and that the required standards were met. If they didn't measure up off they went. We ended up with one bloke for nearly a year. Once the business was more stable he slowly replaced the subbies with full time staff. Most of the firm's I've worked for used subbies and then later on used me as a subbie when I went self employed

When I first started out with a firm we took on subbies. If gave the boss the flexibility to take on more work without the worry of what will to do if the work suddenly dries up. He kept a close eye on what we all did and that the required standards were met. If they didn't measure up off they went. We ended up with one bloke for nearly a year. Once the business was more stable he slowly replaced the subbies with full time staff. Most of the firm's I've worked for used subbies and then later on used me as a subbie when I went self employed

Thanks for the reply, yes those are my thoughts exactly on why using subbies may be a good idea for my business at the moment.