Hayter Harrier 48 lever question

Mel

Hi all, ive just registered on this site as it looks very useful; I often repair mowers and this site comes up often when I google search my questions so hope someone can help.

I recently got a used Hayter Harrier 48 mower with a brake blade clutch (bbc). The clutch cable had snapped, yesterday I fitted a new cable but im not sure if its lever (a ratchet type) is doing what its supposed to be doing. In a nutshell when I push the lever forward (while pulling the handle-bar) it always springs back and thus the bbc will not stay engaged. I took the lever housing to bits and it all looks good; the thing that's getting me is the ratchet appears to only prevent the lever from being pushed forward (i.e it does not prevent the lever from springing back from tension). Its a bit difficult to explain, but if anyone has a Hayter Harrier 48 they will know what I mean. So to anyone that does have one, how do you keep the clutch lever pushed forward (the bbc engaged). Thanks for any info its appreciated

Just to note that I have not pushed the lever forward while the engine is running, I don't expect this would make any difference thou I might be wrong, if so could someone let us know !

J

Edited by Mel

I may have misunderstood your question but as the owner of a Harrier 41 that seems to have similar controls... the clutch engage lever is meant to spring back so the mower won't go without someone attached to it; you have to squeeze it against the handlebars to maintain propulsion. I don't use it myself; I reckon that pushing is healthier exercise!

The OPC lever (the one on the top of the handle) needs to be held down before engaging the BBC. The BBC will then engage, but disengage when the OPC lever is released.

Thanks for the quick response; I am holding down the OPC lever against the handlebar while engaging (pushing forward) the clutch lever (this needs to done otherwise the clutch lever will not move atall). My issue is that when pushed forward, the clutch lever will not stay there, it springs back as soon as I let go of it (the lever that is), all the while I have the OPC held against the handlebar.

The ratchet (in the clutch lever) stops the lever being pushed FORWARD until the OPC is held down against the handlebar:- Is this right ??

Its a real head scratcher, could I ask does the lever spring back like ive just described when the engine is running ? Thanks

Edited by Mel

I may have misunderstood your question but as the owner of a Harrier 41 that seems to have similar controls... the clutch engage lever is meant to spring back so the mower won't go without someone attached to it; you have to squeeze it against the handlebars to maintain propulsion. I don't use it myself; I reckon that pushing is healthier exercise!

Thanks for the reply, its not the issue as you describe thou but thanks anyhow.

Thanks for the quick response; I am holding down the OPC lever against the handlebar while engaging (pushing forward) the clutch lever (this needs to done otherwise the clutch lever will not move atall). My issue is that when pushed forward, the clutch lever will not stay there, it springs back as soon as I let go of it (the lever that is), all the while I have the OPC held against the handlebar.

The ratchet (in the clutch lever) stops the lever being pushed FORWARD until the OPC is held down against the handlebar:- Is this right ??

Its a real head scratcher, could I ask does the lever spring back like ive just described when the engine is running ? Thanks

there is a certain amount of looseness in the lever, but with the OPC down, push the BBC lever forward fully and it should be quite hard to push. Then it should 'click' as the BBC engages. The lever will now be a bit floppy and will go forward again with no resistance. When you let go of the OPC the BBC should disengage.

Why not just try it with the engine running and see if it works?

there is a certain amount of looseness in the lever, but with the OPC down, push the BBC lever forward fully and it should be quite hard to push. Then it should 'click' as the BBC engages. The lever will now be a bit floppy and will go forward again with no resistance. When you let go of the OPC the BBC should disengage.

Why not just try it with the engine running and see if it works?

Thanks a million that's just what I needed to know about.

Is the click noise from the lever or the clutch itself ?, I take it you mean from the lever; and

Does the lever spring back if its not pushed far enough for it to click ?

Thanks

Thanks a million that's just what I needed to know about.

Is the click noise from the lever or the clutch itself ?, I take it you mean from the lever; and

Does the lever spring back if its not pushed far enough for it to click ?

Thanks

The click is in the lever, the resistance is from the clutch. If the lever does not go far enough to catch it will spring back due to the spring in the clutch. Once engaged it will be floppy.

The click is in the lever, the resistance is from the clutch. If the lever does not go far enough to catch it will spring back due to the spring in the clutch. Once engaged it will be floppy.

Great stuff, thanks I wlll have a look tomorrow