chimney removal - replacement with flue pipe

Dean O

We are about to knock down a leaky chimney to bellow the height of the roof tiles and replace with a stovepipe.

at the moment there is a stainless steel liner within the breast to the pot,

burner was installed around 7 years ago.

1) is it worth replacing the liner while at it?

2) any one know of a good source for everything I need?

3) what do I need?

thanks for any help /direction anyone can give.

Dean

Inspect the flue liner with smoke test and visual inspection, if its fine ...

Double wall stainless flue pipe, you get adapters for joining onto the end of a liner .. firestop plate, wall sleeve, support brackets, flashing and storm collar through the roof, cowl and depending on height guy wires ..

Installed by hetas approved or signed off by building control .. google flue pipe for your favourite supplier..

Sounds about right?

Why remove the old chimney if it is already lined best option would be to do a smoke pressure test to check for any leaks, if so the best option would be to feline the old chimney.

In regards to the old liner it depends on the grade their are to types 316 & 904, the 316 had a ten year guarantee and the 904 25 yrs so at 7 years old a 316 maybe towards the end of its life depending on what been burnt.

If you insist on removing the old chimney and going through the roof tiles you would have to use a twin wall insulated chimney system, which is expensive.

Why remove the old chimney if it is already lined best option would be to do a smoke pressure test to check for any leaks, if so the best option would be to feline the old chimney.

He says it's leaky and don't doubt it. We had one here that was repaired countless times and always leaked. Got fed up and took it down and replaced with twin wall. Looks good and no more leaks :thumbup1:

Agree with above. He said it leaks and I don't think he meant it leaks smoke, more that it leaks water into the fabric of the building.

Speaking as one who has had to repair roofs, ceilings and joists damaged by water ingress in a number of properties. Also done work on chimneys in the past, I can wholeheartedly say, they're a pain in the neck! If your property can be run with just the internal section intact and do away with the external section, do it. No more worries about state of pointing, nesting birds, roosting bats, water ingress when some scrote nicks the lead flashing or down draughts on windy days when the fire's not lit. And you may get a reduction on your property insurance too.

thanks guys - yes its water that the problem rather than leaking smoke.

its been an issue over the last couple of years that really now wants sorting and be done with.

from what's been said here and what I can find out I'll be needing...

terminal top/ rain guard

a metre of twin wall flue (for the above roof bit)

a lead or aluminium tray - these seem to have a rubber/silicone neck for weather protection.

the flue lining was 316 grade so it seems that I should bite the bullet and change this while I'm at it. doh.

anything I'm missing?

any one know a good, all under one roof, internet source?

Planning is not normally needed for a twin wall but some councils insist, be as well to check.

You would be wise to have a look at approved Doc J of the building regs, the 2013 version from the planning portal web site. Download is free.

Personally for what it costs I would recommend replacing the liner, failing that who ever is signing the work off will almost certainly want to look at it to decide if he feels its safe to use. We would not re install a liner that is 8 years old, just not worth the risk.

Don't forget you will need a CO2 alarm.

A