Quartering logs over the summer

Ed1

Hi,

I recently joined Arbtalk and this is my first post. I've been reading on this forum for a while which has been an excellent source of information on milling.

I'm in the process of setting myself up to do some chainsaw milling, initially as a way of sourcing timber for my own use. I have a question on milling during the summer time. Probably the first of many questions!

I picked up from other threads that milling and stacking boards to air dry is best done in the winter months to avoid defects. I might have access to some garden logs over the summer, but I get the impression that if I couldn't mill them or move them fairly quickly then I might miss out.

Access permitting, could they be broken down lengthways into quarters for easier transport during the summer and then planked and stacked during the winter months, or are defects likely to appear in the quarters?

I'm not sure if my question is species dependent. Ideally, I am looking to cut some oak and ash but would consider other species if I come across them.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Ed

It's not ideal to mill this time of year - but then again sometimes you have to. I've been milling some oak and it can surface tear in just a few hours.

But as said sometimes needs must - mill it then get it stacked in some shade.

Hi guys I find this topic of what time of year to mill a bit confusing I understand all about sap rising etc but all the bigis sawmills near me mill all year round would this be a reason why when you buy wood from a builders yard its quite often bent to f--k what are your thaughts

Cheers Mark

Hi guys I find this topic of what time of year to mill a bit confusing I understand all about sap rising etc but all the bigis sawmills near me mill all year round would this be a reason why when you buy wood from a builders yard its quite often bent to f--k what are your thaughts

Cheers Mark

They may be milling logs that were felled late autumn... also for softwood milling in warmer weather is not that critical. Stuff like oak is much better milled in the winter as so hard to prevent drying defects in the hotter months when drying.